Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Playing King Queen suited from BB after a raise from Button

I was playing in a .5 .10 cash game on full tilt. I had been at the table for about 1 hour and one player had been raising on the button nearly every hand. I had seen him turn over a few hands such as King 9 and Queen ten when showing down against the SB. I was able to take a couple of pots from this player but this one hand came up after 2 hours of play

Button $19.20 A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB Unknown
BB (me $23) K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Button raises to .35 SB folds and I decide to play back and re raise to $1 button calls flop comes

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet out $1 and Button flat calls turn comes

8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $2 and button raises to $4 I thought at first He may have hit a flush but I thought the raise was a sign of weakness so I re raise all in Button calls

River comes

10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Did i play this hand wrong. I dont think I should have dumped the King Queen but should I have bet more on the flop and ended the draws? What are your opinions of this hand?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Playing King Queen suited from BB after a raise from Button

I think the raise from the blinds should be larger because you need to play the rest of the hand out of position. The standard re-raise is usually about 3x the raise, so I would raise to 1.2, premium above 3x because you are out of position. Now you have a 2.4x pot going into the flop. With a drawy flop like the one that game down you need to bet at least 2.00 (into 2.4x). Now going into the turn you have a 6.4x pot with a bunch of money behind (effective $16). At this point I probably just go ahead and (value) shove hoping to get called by something like AK (with or without a club).

Lucky
Old 05-21-2007, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Playing King Queen suited from BB after a raise from Button

PF is good. (Question - what do you do if he rebumps?)
FLOP - Bet Pot. That is a draw heavy flop, which has connected with any hand he's likely to hold (short of a mid - low PP). Typically, the money is all going in. The best you can do is hope he raises and you can reraise (shove if the pot is right). I often like to 3-bet here just to see if he comes over the top again and then shove the turn if no draw its.

TURN - Bad but not to bad. The pots already $10. If you check and he pushes, it's hard to call here (the few times you're ahead here and fold, don't outweigh the money you save all the times you're beat by a set (or better). So you're best move is to push (if you want the pot and think you're can take it down now) and get called by a hand still drawing. Remember, there are only 3 hands that beat you (not conting the varios flush hands (can all be counted as 1 hand because if we can beat 1 flush, we can beat them all, while against a set we would be drawing dead to a set of Kings and at best 4 outs to at least split. If you had a set here, I say call all day, but with just two pair I wouldn't be pushing if I got re-raised when I'm only 4th best.

Throwing GOOD money after BAD is just that, bad business.

D_D