Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: old school rpgs

final fantasy 6 over final fantasy 7 any day of the week hands down. not to say 7 is a bad game or anything, but that 6 is so goddamn awesome.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:25 AM

i played the pc demo of final fantasy 7 back when it came out. i also played the pc version for about 2 hours but got pissed because you really need a gamepad.

is snes ff3 a 2d CT-style game?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 AM

xhad, yes i played CT for maybe 10 hours (snes version) but lost my saves (it was emulated). i dont know if its worth playing through what i've already beaten. if it is a unanimous agreement i'd suck it up though.

i agree that i'm not going to bother with the nes, its just too ancient-looking. i think i could survive with ff7 but the 2d games preserve really well and may keep my attention longer.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:47 AM

earthbound!!
Old 02-06-2007, 04:50 AM

Chrono Trigger, and it's arguably not even close
Old 02-06-2007, 05:41 AM

Id recommend FF6 or Chrono Trigger. CT is my favorite RPG and FF6 is my favorite FF. FF7 is good too and would probably be my third choice if you havent played it, not sure if its really old school though. Another great one is Xenogears for PS1 if you want a slower paced game with a cool story. If you play one of the old SNES ones I would either buy the cartridge or download a ROM b/c the PS1 remakes all have VERY slow load times everytime you go to a menu, a battle or a new room. Guess I didnt really answer youre question but if youre only going to play one I would have to say go with CT.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:02 AM

FF3 on snes. dont get the ports to PS1 they take forever on loads. cartriges 4tw as far as old school rpgs go. chrono trigger is also awesome. get both, ull enjoy it.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 AM

Load Dos Box onto your PC then pick up a copy of Ultima 7 the Serpent isle. It has a great story line, Interesting and varied game play just the right level of difficulty and is totally interactive every item you see can be picked up moved or opened. NPCs have lives that they live independently of you and the world they live in makes sense.
It avoids many of the Japanese RPG traditions such as endless unavoidable battles or villages full of people standing around responding with one line of dialogue.
Ultima Underworld 2 labyrinth of worlds is also great but the graphics have aged a lot worse then Serpent isles have.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i played the pc demo of final fantasy 7 back when it came out. i also played the pc version for about 2 hours but got pissed because you really need a gamepad.

[/ QUOTE ]

A quick warning, the FF7 port is buggy, and it only gets worse on newer OS'es. I've known dozens of square fans over the years and I don't know ONE that could finish the game without patching it or hacking it or both. EIDOS really deserved a kick in the nuts over that one.

[ QUOTE ]
is snes ff3 a 2d CT-style game?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's basically 2d FF, but done as well as possible. It was the first that used the same character graphics for in and out of battle. IMO the Esper/Relic system is better than the Materia system simply because I don't have to do a million things every time I switch out a character (characters are very easy to equip/unequip, but there's still a lot of room for customization). I actually liked the futuristic environment of FF7 better than the steampunk environment of FF3, but as someone else said looking at high-quality 2d is probably easier on the eyes than primitive 3d. Most of the differences are personal taste but if you liked FF7 and CT you'll almost certainly like FF3.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Load Dos Box onto your PC then pick up a copy of Ultima 7 the Serpent isle. It has a great story line, Interesting and varied game play just the right level of difficulty and is totally interactive every item you see can be picked up moved or opened. NPCs have lives that they live independently of you and the world they live in makes sense.
It avoids many of the Japanese RPG traditions such as endless unavoidable battles or villages full of people standing around responding with one line of dialogue.
Ultima Underworld 2 labyrinth of worlds is also great but the graphics have aged a lot worse then Serpent isles have.

[/ QUOTE ]
this isnt a bad idea, i got ultima underworld 1 going on my win98 box (and actually i think i got it to work in xp too with a bit of poking around). never beat it (again, save games, but actually they might be in my archives somewhere, maybe ill pull it out?) i got to maybe level 5 or so. uu1 was pretty awesome. i dont mind the gfx at all.