Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: NL$1000| Is this a terrible or sound play from me?

[ QUOTE ]
wtf @ open folding A9o sb

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like playing OOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] In fairness it's usually at the lower levels that I'd fold a hand like that OOP where maniac big blinds are going to force big pots in marginal situations - I'd rather not play them and wait to exploit their weaknesses with position or better holdings.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:00 PM

LOL at betting the river. hes not calling the turn to fold a blank river, especially when its fairly unbelievable you have a king.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 PM

Why is it unbelievable I have a king? I'd have played a king the exact same way on all 3 streets including the river. I'd also play AA and sets the same way on all three streets.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 PM

"i'd presume he'd raise with a K on the turn and fold a 10 on the river. if so, we should bet"

he would not necessarily raise a King in position on the turn, nor would he fold a Ten on the river. I prefer check/fold turn.... but since oyu bet and got called, betting the river is a huge mistake.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer check/fold turn.... but since oyu bet and got called, betting the river is a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take the c/f turn line a fair bit. I don't always 2nd barrel.

I'm not understanding why betting the river is such a huge mistake when I've narrowed my opponents hand to the point of knowing he has a 10. I don't think it's unreasonable to try and get him to fold that and I think I represent a hand that beats it a very fair proportion of the time here.

The very fact you think its a huge mistake should infer that if I'm a player he respects at all (he'd have no reason not to at this point) then he should know I shouldn't bet that river very often without a 10 crushed (as any other hand is a quote huge mistake unquote.....which is kinda why I made the bet.

I guess I saw it as third level thinking. I thought he'd think that I'd usually just give up bluffs or hands less than a 10 here, check call A10, JJ-QQ, etc and value bet hands that beat Q10. In that case I believed he'd put my range at hands that beat him and the occassional last ditch bluff with air and act accordingly (i.e. fold). I certainly didn't bet just because I knew he had a 10. I was betting cause I knew he had a 10 but I thought a bet here would be a strong indication that I did indeed have a 10 beat. Is that soooo flawed? If so, why?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one ever folds 2nd pair in a blind battle

[/ QUOTE ]

ever
Old 06-06-2007, 10:01 PM

i honestly like how you played this hand, just remember to keep the pressure on this guy, as he as already shown how he is going to react...

basically, you will be making a lot of thin value bets against him
Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 PM

what about check raising this river?
hes probaly priced in to calling with a 10?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 AM

Oneouterson c/r the river is something I thought about when reviewing the hand afterwards - I think it would have been the ultimate play if it worked.

I don't think he'd try and value bet often enough though. He has to worry that I've checked JJ-QQ, A10, Q10 and am ready to snap off bluffs. If he bet $100-150 or so at $460 then he might get a call from a weaker 10 a 9 or a lower PP but generally it only gets called by hands that beat him. I therefore think its far more likely he'd just check and showdown.

If he did bet up to 2/3rd pot and you c/r push I can't see how he'd ever call with Q10 - it would be a sweet play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ikestoys - you are right, whilst this pot costs me a chunk of change I do have valueable information on villain and can value bet light against him in the future.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 AM

everybody says this is spew but i disagree.

I am presonally not the type to almost every 3 barrell river. I do bluff sometimes but def not in these type of big pot spots. But just becuz i wont make that play doesnt mean i dont think it has value.

In my mind your opponent is making a terrible call and played the whole hand crap. If anything he should be raising you on flop to straighten his hand out. as hand was played i epxect you to be betting a fhouse, trips a lot of the time. I think opponents river call is awful. Becuz his hand is transparent as hell to you, he should not be calling a three barrell. especially if he can expect hands like AT,AA,QQ,JJ to just check/call most of the time.

ofcourse this is all different if you have been playing kinda laggy and made a lot of bluffs at table. IF that was the case, you played it spewy and should have given up river. Also I dont like turn bet too much becuz now you dont know if you want an A or 9 to showup on river. If you have been laggy it is also very possible villain can be trapping you with trips the whole way.