Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Who is the worst GM is pro sports history?

[ QUOTE ]
How about whoever was running the Cavs back in the 80s when they traded all of their 1st round draft picks for crappy players, and the league had to give them some high picks back because nobody wanted to buy the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh [censored], I totally forgot about this guy. No doubt about it, he's the worst.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steve Philips. Small sample size but if he was given a couple more season I know he could've been the worst ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

steve philips was really not that bad. He made a couple of clunkers, but he did turn hundley into cedeno and benitez and then turned cedeno into hampton. And he got us to the world series. So to call him one of the worst ever is ridiculous
Old 12-01-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hawk Harrelson /thread

[/ QUOTE ]
He was a GM? Honestly as terrible as Mike Millbury is I can't imagine anyone in the world would be a worst GM than Hawk Harrelson?

[/ QUOTE ]
He was GM. I know him as an announcer and he is so damn dumb. I can only assume his run at GM was horrific.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the GM, he fired Tony Larussa as manager and traded Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon
Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isaiah has a very impressive draft history.

[/ QUOTE ]

refresh my memory.... (not being sarcastic)

[/ QUOTE ]

Camby and McGrady are the big ones, he also got Trevor Ariza and David Lee recently.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Camby and McGrady are the big ones, he also got Trevor Ariza and David Lee recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

camby was a given... but ya ur right... he should just be a scout(traded for Jermaine o'neal as well correct?)
Old 12-01-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

camby was a given... but ya ur right... he should just be a scout(traded for Jermaine o'neal as well correct?)

[/ QUOTE ]
No on JO. He was a coach only for the Pacers.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Royals' Herk Robinson and Allard Baird

[/ QUOTE ]

We just didn't give Baird's 5 year plan enough 5 years to start to take effect.

I'm going to toss out Carl Peterson, although he is probably not the worst he is really bad. It disgusts me that the Chiefs had the best percentage record of the 1990's and yet only won 3 playoff games. 19 years in office and no super bowl appearances? How many GM's have been allowed to have that kind of stat in the modern era? He has refused to play for the title by never blowing up the team and having a few [censored] years for the sake of a total rebuild. His teams are a constant mix of overpaid aging veterans and multiple rookies. This formula has been enough to get him a lot of around .500 ball clubs with no playoff success. The Chiefs under Carl haven't won a playoff game since 1993! And yet his job is hardly ever mentioned as in jeopardy or questioned by hardly anyone here. The Chiefs love him because he has kept them respectable which allows them to always have sellouts. I hate him because he doesn't have the balls to make the moves to play for a Super Bowl title, not just the occassional AFC West title. It blows my mind that in this day and age of produce a team to win it all now, this d-bag still has a job.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:57 PM

lol Allard Baird. I mean, he sucks, but it's not really his fault; the owner of the Royals is a huge douchebag Wal-Mart bloodsucker.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Agreed, Glass is a huge toolbag, he's the exact opposite of everything Ewing Kaufmann would have wanted in an owner. That said, I do think Dayton Moore might be able to get the job done, supposedly he wasn't going to take the job unless Glass gave him tons of freedom to do what he wanted. If that's actually true in the next couple of years we might be decent.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

lol, Ed Wade was far from a horrible GM. The team actually got better under his watch. He also house cleaned the guys managing the Phillies farm system. Half the current team came through that farm system!! (ok not exactly half, nit). His trades and FA leave something to be desired. This hardly detracts from the most important point that the team got better while he was in charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Phillies may have gotten better under Ed Wade's watch but he was still terrible.

When he was let go, i remember that he had the longest tenure of a GM that hand't made the playoffs.

And one could argue that Gillick has spent 2 years trying to undo the crap that Ed Wade did while GM.

Look at the bad contracts with the no-trade clauses, look at the players that left while he was there, look at the small moves at trade deadlines to try and get his teams over the hump into a wildcard spot. And the farm system on one hand there have been a few excellent players, pitching is really weak and really not much in the way of trade bait.

Now granted the ownership is way way worse and with a bit bigger budget he may have been able to do some of the things criticized for.