Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: When To Give Up?

Why are you cashing out?

Starting from $100, you could build up to decent levels quickly. But only by using the money you win to move up levels.

If you keep withdrawing to drop down to 100, you will always be playing too small to even think about playing for a living.

On the other hand, everyone has a sweet spot for ROI. It may just happen that your sweet spot is playing $5 NL with a 100 roll. If that is the case, just play as a hobby and enjoy the $50/month or so you are profiting - and don't torture yourself about wanting to go pro.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i was very intelegent in school and math. usualy one of the top scores in my schools for the standerdized testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'ed at this line. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost pooped and peed myself when I read this line. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Are we both gambling addicts? I guess we better seek help because we have lost way more than $2-$3 on those stupid games.

[/ QUOTE ]

MicroBob: You obviously are a gambling addict, look at your 2+2 post count. But don't seek help, just continue to give help [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think almost everyone who plays powerball has some awareness that they are -EV even if they aren't familiar with that term.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more of a math question than trying to correct anyone. I always thought that progressive lotteries like the powerball do become +EV at some point. The powerball is actually a good bet sometimes, right?

So if the odds of hitting are say 100,000,000 to 1 and the jackpot is over $100,000,000 you have a +EV on a $1 ticket.

Here's the question: is it still considered +EV even though your odds are so small to hit since you will not live anywhere close to long enough to get enough shots at it?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So if the odds of hitting are say 100,000,000 to 1 and the jackpot is over $100,000,000 you have a +EV on a $1 ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing one factor. If the odds are 100M-1 and the JP stays at $100M, yet 500M tickets are sold the chances of duplicate winners takes your EV way down...
Old 11-30-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was very intelegent in school and math.

[/ QUOTE ]

o rly?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing one factor. If the odds are 100M-1 and the JP stays at $100M, yet 500M tickets are sold the chances of duplicate winners takes your EV way down...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I did miss this! So this is what makes a progressive lottery different from a progressive slot machine where there can be a a +EV. Since only one person can hit the slot machine at one time.

I though I read something in a Wong book about professional gamblers playing slots when the jackpot reaches a certain amount and that's where I got the lottery idea. But your point about multiple winners changes everything.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I took my own advice and did some research.

I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg..i seriously thought you were leveling the whole time. that is unless im being leveled again
Old 11-30-2007, 11:49 AM

This may be a bit of a sweeping statement but anyone who has been playing regular poker for 3 years in low limit games and isnt winning, should really give up. If you see it as a hobby, of course keep playing, but I dont think you can be too smart to be honest.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:55 AM

I deposit 4 years ago 50$ and played without reading a book. I never deposit again and was a winning player after 3 weeks. I play low stakes and dont make a million but it was enough for a few vacations, a sport car, and a bit mone for the stock market........so my advice GIVE UP