Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 AM

Default What would you do?

Finally, I hypothetical that's not about AC.

Ok, you live in a very poor nation. Your family can barely pay the bills to live their very meager lifestyle which consists of work, then returning to their shack that is unlikely to even have plumbing (unless you live in a tourist area of course).

You know that a wealthy nation borders your very poor nation. There you can very easily find a job that pays much more the job you have now. You could work, send a lot of your money home and still be able to get by in an "effeciency apartment". You could also help get the rest of your family over to this new great country.

This sounds like a dream come true, but there are a few drawbacks. For one, it's illegal since you were born on the other side of an arbitrary line. Also, some people that are a different skin color are always going to look down on you since you were born in a different country, have a different color of skin, and you were not educated enough to become fluent in their precious language. But, you'll lead a much better lifestyle doing honest work and you'll no longer be scared of your children starving to death.

So, do you try to get into the wealthy nation and live a better life? Why or why not?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: What would you do?

Another hypothetical-

You are starving, and will die if you don't eat. Also, your family is starving. The only source of food is your neighbors house. You go and steal a loaf of bread.

Therefore stealing is moral.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another hypothetical-

You are starving, and will die if you don't eat. Also, your family is starving. The only source of food is your neighbors house. You go and steal a loaf of bread.

[/ QUOTE ]
voluntary action =/= theft.

Nor is this hypothetical about morality.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, you live in a very poor nation. Your family can barely pay the bills to live their very meager lifestyle which consists of work, then returning to their shack that is unlikely to even have plumbing (unless you live in a tourist area of course).

You know that a wealthy nation borders your very poor nation. There you can very easily find a job that pays much more the job you have now. You could work, send a lot of your money home and still be able to get by in an "effeciency apartment". You could also help get the rest of your family over to this new great country.

This sounds like a dream come true, but there are a few drawbacks. For one, it's illegal since you were born on the other side of an arbitrary line. Also, some people that are a different skin color are always going to look down on you since you were born in a different country, have a different color of skin, and you were not educated enough to become fluent in their precious language. But, you'll lead a much better lifestyle doing honest work and you'll no longer be scared of your children starving to death.

So, do you try to get into the wealthy nation and live a better life? Why or why not?

Post Extras

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I would seek employment in their country. They want me and value my services. Indeed, my services contribute to their booming economy, including their stunning 4.5% unemployment rate ( a nearly historical low, discounting 1945 when everyone who wanted a job got one ).

I and my labor are an investment to anyone who hires me. My, and my country man's, labor produces wealth, which allows for more investment and more hiring. Uneducated English speaking people with a record of employment will find jobs easier to get, albeit, they may have to work in new areas that they are unfamiliar with, but nonetheless, being able to speak English and being trusted will always be in large demand.

Without me and my kind, this fantastic country's economy will be crushed, and those whiney English speakers that didn’t bother studying in high school will find life much more difficult.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Of course I am going there. Something being deemed 'illegal' has never stopped me from engaging in that behavior, particularly if I believe that the behavior is morally correct and will produce great utility for myself and my family.

How many in the anti immigration croud are going to be honest enough to admit they would do the same? I bet not a lot, they would rather stay in the corner and pout and whine about other people.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another hypothetical-

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I tell the neighbor's hot daugher I will hump her and the price I charge is a loaf of bread.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I freely admit that I'm not very educated about Mexico, but isn't this exaggerating a little bit? I'm sure that most Mexicans have a lot more difficult conditions than they would in America, but the "only have plumbing in tourist areas" thing isn't something I've ever heard before.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 AM

Iggy: have you ever spent time in poor parts of Southern countries? (by South I mean Global South which, while not geographically precise, doesn't have the connotation of Third World or Developing) I think off the top of my head about 65% of Mexicans have access to indoor plumbing. Mexico is also fairly rich compared to say, Nicaragua or Kenya.

Tom: In that case, it would be immoral to have the food and not share it.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:25 AM

Of course i would try to sneak over based on the description of my family that you gave.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if I can work for cash so I pay no taxes, get free healthcare if I get hurt or sick, and bang the native hotties.