Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Checkraisers wins this game

Sounds like a new book should be in the works by Miller: SSLHEP-Short Stack Limit Hold Em Poker

Personally, playing any limit game with only around 5 BBs is lame. And I consider myself to be a beginner still.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He only starts with 5 BBs an he does that well? Is this a regular occurence or a one time thing that you have seen him do? He could lose it all before the river on some hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this is a regular occurence, he's one of those players I avoid on the table, I'm pretty good but I'm a value bettor so at the river if I have the nuts and I'm the first to act I bet all the time but not these folks they wait and pop you with a checkraise, they do this all day, so many donks playing $4-8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players who check-raise too much have a tendancy that is easy to exploit.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Check behind and take a free card, raising the river when you hit, otherwise drawing and folding for free. Result of the check-raise: 0 BB if he misses, -2 BB if he hits, -4 BB when he has a better hand to start with, +1 BB if he has a mediocre hand.

Compare to betting out: +1BB if he misses, -2 or 3BB if he hits, -3BB if he has a better hand, +2BB if he has a mediocre hand. As he will more often either miss or havew a mediocre hand, betting out is better than check raising.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:47 AM

I'd have to say that said Asian player is a losing player, just a hunch.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Asian players are losing players.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Check behind and take a free card, raising the river when you hit, otherwise drawing and folding for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is assuming that you know when you are behind.
Thanks for the tip Badger. lol.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is assuming that you know when you are behind.
Thanks for the tip Badger. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, that's one of the basic poker skills, isn't it? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 01:33 PM

c/r'ing is annoying, especially when I'm the one being c/r'ed. In almost all low limit hold'em games, the guy c/r'ing has some kind of big hand.

This is what happens in low limit poker games:

No one ever folds--->bluffing or making moves without the best hand is -EV----->bluffing or making moves doesnt occur very often----->you can make easy laydowns when someone shows this type of trapping move.

The reason c/r'ers win is because people's natural false impression is to think someone might be making a move and so they call down. But as shown above, they almost never are. So the players calling down the c/r'ers become the suckers, losing the maximum when beat.

In lots of ways, I feel that low limit hold'em has evolved in such a way so that if you play "by the book" you will lose your butt to players who, although play some crap hands, are effective at trapping and hard to read due to the huge range of hands they play. You have to lay down when they get lucky. If you pay them off, you are making their non-profitable decisions much less of an error.

-J
Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I play with this old asian guy who would start with $40 and the next thing u know he has $700 worht of chips in front of him and he's only playing $4-8 LHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure this isn't a young Asian guy?

On topic: Check-raising strong hands is good for your bankroll in LAG and LP games, which I understand is the rule at the Commerce. Go go go.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/r'ing is annoying, especially when I'm the one being c/r'ed. In almost all low limit hold'em games, the guy c/r'ing has some kind of big hand.

This is what happens in low limit poker games:

No one ever folds--->bluffing or making moves without the best hand is -EV----->bluffing or making moves doesnt occur very often----->you can make easy laydowns when someone shows this type of trapping move.

The reason c/r'ers win is because people's natural false impression is to think someone might be making a move and so they call down. But as shown above, they almost never are. So the players calling down the c/r'ers become the suckers, losing the maximum when beat.

In lots of ways, I feel that low limit hold'em has evolved in such a way so that if you play "by the book" you will lose your butt to players who, although play some crap hands, are effective at trapping and hard to read due to the huge range of hands they play. You have to lay down when they get lucky. If you pay them off, you are making their non-profitable decisions much less of an error.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

How often do you see them calling down the C/R? Always. How often do you see them forget there was a c/r on the flop? Often. How often do you see a c/r bluffing? Never.

In low limit games, a bet means they think they have a hand. Whether they actually DO have a hand is for one to decipher. I've seen check/raises with any overpair, any 2 suited overcards to a two-flush, etc.

Don't pay 'em off. In the long run, I think it's +EV.

nh, sir