UTG+1 (t3160)
MP1 (t1850)
MP2 (t2810)
MP3 (t2880)
CO (t1570)
Button (t1480)
SB (t1780)
Hero (t1420)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t120</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t90, UTG+1 calls t90

Flop: (t375) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero??

I usually reraise preflop w/ AK but sometimes call to mix up. That's what I did here. What's the best way to play this hand? This is pretty early in the tourney so no real reads. I figured to have the best hand judging from CO's preflop raising range. He probably has weaker ace than mine but not as weak as A9, KQ or something similar, or medium to high pocket pair. Bet out or checkraise?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:19 AM

Default Re: PS $27: AKs in the BB

i dont mind a check raise here... problem is you'll easily be trapped by 99 or 66... either way your going broke if they have it.

UTG+1's line looks very much like 66-99 type hand.

if you check, and UTG+1 is the heavy aggressor, maybe you can slow down, i dunno.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 AM

Going for the check-raise can easily result in it getting checked around. The last thing you want to have is getting stacked by some joker who hit 2p/set/flush on the turn, or gets a flush draw that hits on the river. I don't see any real advantage to the check-raise unless you plan on folding TPTK for some reason, or someone would fold to your reraise with a weaker A if you bet out. If you bet out and it goes raise, reraise it's not like you can't get away from it then either.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 AM

id lead almost always in this spot. if i was 100% sure villain will c/r, thats fine too sometimes.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:32 AM

This is what actually happened.

Preflop: Hero is in BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t120</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t90, UTG+1 calls t90

Flop: (t375) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">CO bets t300</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t840</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to t1450 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t460 (All-in)

Turn: (t3425) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t3425) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)

So was I just supposed to go broke on this hand either way? If I got for checkraise like I did, I was really tied to this pot after my raise. And if I lead out and get raised, I can't just drop TPTK with no reads. I was wondering if I made a blunder play because I seem to bust out with TPTK hands so often.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:43 AM

I would put something like 150. If he has an Ace he will raise (you reraise all-in) or call, so you can go on building a pot. At this buy-in-level I definitely would put all my money in here, if hit his set or whatever, be it.

I would be much more inclined to check-raise if the flop is A96 rainbow.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:59 AM

did you lose to AA? or AQ? other than that, I rarely doubt 99.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 AM

preflop play is fine, im not sure i would check the flop JUST in case of a flush draw checking, but the check raise you made will work more often than it wont in those kind of situations, b/c you cant assume people are hitting sets on you that often. You didnt post results but im assuming he had 99 by your disgust at the outcome? Im going broke in this hand w/ out a good read
Old 07-07-2006, 10:01 AM

At the 15+1s my mission is to get as many chips into the middle as possible. Same at the 27s during weekend. I am not sure if at other times laying it down to the reraise would be better.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the 15+1s my mission is to get as many chips into the middle as possible. Same at the 27s during weekend. I am not sure if at other times laying it down to the reraise would be better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're behind to aces and you're ahead of... AK AQ AJ AT, flushdraw. Those hands show up at the 114s even, as far as I know. Unless I know him, I ain't folding ever. If he's got 66/99, lawl.