Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 01-12-2006, 09:15 PM

Default 1/2 JJ 3-handed

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero??

My concern in this hand is the board pair, obviously, with 2 limpers before me. I think limpers could have a T or an underpair and one of them decided to bet out to relatively low board cards in a raised pot. But the range of hands SB would check raise with is pretty narrow. What's the best play in this spot?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Re: 1/2 JJ 3-handed

bet that [censored] again. I fold if sb calls and MP1 check raises the fold and call down if sb check raises unless a heart comes on the river in which case I probably fold.

edit: see post
Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 PM

I definatly bet. I can see MP1 something like A9, or a T and SB with a T, or more likely: suited overcards QJ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Reads really help. People that bloat pots with strongs draws usually always bloat pots with strongs draws.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:56 PM

I would bet again. It's possible SB has a big draw. Or maybe he planned to checkraise a 9 on the flop and then went ahead and carried through even though the action was heavier than he anticipated (and then, after no one folded, maybe he got scared on the turn).

I'll admit I would be tempted to check it through, though. It's entirely possible SB has trips (or better) and simply loves to checkraise. If he checkraised again on the turn, I guess I would probably tell myself I should fold and then start calling down instead. (Who knows? Maybe he loves to checkraise and doesn't have trips. Maybe he's just desperately trying to buy the pot with pocket 2's.)

In any case, I think MP1 is less of a concern than SB, at this point. Although MP1 may have called SB's check/3-bet with the plan of popping the turn, you'd think that if he has a monster hand he'd go ahead and bet once SB checked again. If MP1 did checkraise the turn I think I'd fold. But I'm not expecting him to checkraise.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:16 PM

This is how it played out. I was too tempted to check behind on the turn.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB

Thinking back now, my river fold was bad. I didn't see the possibility of flop check raise with a draw by SB and that he would bluff the river after turn was checked around. I figure to have many calling hands beat on the river because better hands will raise. I get too scared of board pairs of 99-JJ with limpers. Next time I gotta remind myself that there are only two cards left in the deck to hit trips with.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:26 PM

An early position check raise with a draw to get a free card. Interesting and creative move. Agree with the other posters about continuing to bet. And, your right, you should have called the river.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:46 PM

I usualy bet the turn and then look like an idiot when sb ends up pulling a trifecta on me.