Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Who is god? (Non religious post)

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the chart

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick, what is your favorite part? Mine is that humans power is "very limited" while our knowledge is only "limited."
Old 11-03-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The imagined god is something that people project their fears and desires onto.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isnt that exactly what you are doing? Projecting your fears and desires into "what God is"?

[ QUOTE ]
When there is nobody in your life you can trust your feelings to; not your parents, not your family, not your friends, not anybody, then you're going to imagine an invisible friend who you *can* talk to.

[/ QUOTE ]

An invisible friend? Some would say this is "insanity" and I would tend to agree. By feeling the need to "talk through" an "invisible friend" to yourself for support, you are surrendering control to someone/thing else which is quit disrespectful to yourself I think.

[ QUOTE ]
So you're approaching this from a wrong angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

There IS no wrong angle.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The imagined god is something that people project their fears and desires onto.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isnt that exactly what you are doing? Projecting your fears and desires into "what God is"?

[ QUOTE ]
When there is nobody in your life you can trust your feelings to; not your parents, not your family, not your friends, not anybody, then you're going to imagine an invisible friend who you *can* talk to.

[/ QUOTE ]

An invisible friend? Some would say this is "insanity" and I would tend to agree. By feeling the need to "talk through" an "invisible friend" to yourself for support, you are surrendering control to someone/thing else which is quit disrespectful to yourself I think.

[ QUOTE ]
So you're approaching this from a wrong angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

There IS no wrong angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

WAT?

I'm not religious. I don't have an invisible friend because I have people who I can talk to.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the chart

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick, what is your favorite part? Mine is that humans power is "very limited" while our knowledge is only "limited."

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely "larger than universe" coming after "extradimensional."
Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 PM

If one does as god does enough times, one will become as god is.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Shame, I thought more people would take this seriously.

My point was really related to a bigger picture, prompted by the two recent posts - 'If god contacts me I'll do anything he says', and 'If god contacts me I WONT do anything he says'. How can we judge wether such a creature is moral/more moral than us, etc.

People in those threads made assumptions that they haven't made here.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:36 PM

I do think it's an interesting question, but for me there's not much to say about it. This being obviously understands more than I ever can and has enormous power, so by default I'd throw in with him. I will even believe him if he says "I'm God," because he's working at a level much higher than I can imagine and even if he's wrong doubting him is an exercise in futility. I think that for all intents and purposes, a truly omnipotent being is equivalent to God. Some people might talk about things like whether he deserves credit if he didn't create the universe, but I think it's all irrelevant.

Now, if he were clearly immoral or capriciously cruel I'd still oppose him. That too would be an exercise in futility, and perhaps a feature of my limited intellect, but so be it.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Because it so alien a concept. Honestly I think the first I would do was to see a doctor or look for hidden mirrors.

God is a cultural and semantical concept, and I don't think it can reflect well on some universe-creating entity and its capabilities. It would be like describing the bottom of the mariana trench based on what a shallow puddle of water.

But ok, if I assume I met something I honestly believed was a god I think I would get very scared and wet my pants and then I'd swear eternal allegiance hoping to get something neat like eternal life, power or a glimpse of how the universe ticks in return.

At some point I'd probably wonder if he was one of the 'big kahunas' from the major religions, but that strikes me as incredibly illogical conclusion when thinking about it now.

Ofcourse standing before some all-powerful entity I'd might not think as clearly.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:17 PM

I simply assume he is a being far more advanced than me; perhaps an alien. But I don't necessarily think I could just deduce his/her/its intentions simply through abilities and power. That is, I have no reason to assume that this being is kind or malicious. And almost certainly the morality of this being will probaly be far different from my own
Old 11-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Would people accept the chance of this being a good benevolant god (Similar to the one in the bible in his goodness) and an evil devil (Similar to the one in the bible in his badness) as equal?

If so why? If not why not?

[I do not mean to use the bible as an example, but my lack of ability to concisely put my thoughts forward made it inevitable. If you want to reply with "The god from the bible isn't good! He says 'XXX XXXXX XX XXX....'" Then you've missed the point entirely. Please substitute whatever symbols of good and evil omnipitent beings work for you.]