Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

I love poker...

I'm debating starting a new thread for bad internet chat-box logic. Dear God, I've heard horrible stuff from players to justify fish-like behavior.

For instance, I just cracked out of a tourney with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and a board of 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] SB fires out for 100 (blinds are 25/50) and I smooth call with my trips/top kicker.

Turn comes 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he ships it all in. I call with my monster, and the villian rolls over 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] And of course, since I'm playing on Pokerstars... The River comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and I throw up on my laptop.

I got the immortal "Dude, I flopped a monster draw, and I knew I was going to get there"
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 AM

Surprised you didn't get the, "That's what you get for slowplaying, donk."
Old 11-20-2007, 12:38 AM

Hahaha, yeah, that would have worked too... I was setting up for the Check-Raise on the turn, but the fish couldn't get his money in fast enough... I suck at the poker.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've myself said some pretty idiotic things back when I was just learning the rules of poker. I remember I once told my friend that I thought AKs was better than AA cuz it can make more nut flushes and straights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brunson also said this in supersystem, but for different reasons
Old 11-20-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hahaha, yeah, that would have worked too... I was setting up for the Check-Raise on the turn, but the fish couldn't get his money in fast enough... I suck at the poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your plan was to c/r the SB then yes you do. that plan has a 100% fail rate.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread. I've got one where I'm not sure who's play was worse.

£1/£2 NL A few people limp to crazy drunken fish. CDF pushes for ~£200 and flips over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] saying "I hate low pockets just get out of my way." fold fold fold to one of the limper who calls!

Limper turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] doesn't improve and CDF takes down ~£400 pot. Limper when asked why he called relpies "well he's just been playing so badly all night it's annoying me so I wanted to try and bust him."

I sit back, smile and thank god for donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh. assuming the pot is 207 and he has to call 198 more, he needs 48.88% equity and he has 48.5% equity. The worst strategy you've EVER heard is assigning .38% equity value to spite? Now if he called with A2 or 33 or something, OK, but wow. Plus, you have to know that even if you lose, the CDF will probably spew off the money again anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's trying to say it's bad strategy to want to bust someone who plays bad? I mean, I've seen people online congratulate themselves on busting a total idiot and act like they were glad that someone that bad wasn't messing up their serious game anymore. Could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]
What he's saying is why give a donk a 50% chance to beat you if you know you can get it in with him close to drawing dead. Going all in preflop with against a guy who sucks knowing its a flip is taking away any edge you might have over him.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Great thread. I've got one where I'm not sure who's play was worse.

£1/£2 NL A few people limp to crazy drunken fish. CDF pushes for ~£200 and flips over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] saying "I hate low pockets just get out of my way." fold fold fold to one of the limper who calls!

Limper turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] doesn't improve and CDF takes down ~£400 pot. Limper when asked why he called relpies "well he's just been playing so badly all night it's annoying me so I wanted to try and bust him."

I sit back, smile and thank god for donks.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh. assuming the pot is 207 and he has to call 198 more, he needs 48.88% equity and he has 48.5% equity. The worst strategy you've EVER heard is assigning .38% equity value to spite? Now if he called with A2 or 33 or something, OK, but wow. Plus, you have to know that even if you lose, the CDF will probably spew off the money again anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's trying to say it's bad strategy to want to bust someone who plays bad? I mean, I've seen people online congratulate themselves on busting a total idiot and act like they were glad that someone that bad wasn't messing up their serious game anymore. Could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]
What he's saying is why give a donk a 50% chance to beat you if you know you can get it in with him close to drawing dead. Going all in preflop with against a guy who sucks knowing its a flip is taking away any edge you might have over him.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the next time he shoves and shows 55, someone may have 66, and then there he goes anyway. by calling the k9s, you have an =EV gamble, and if he wins, he still has money, if you win, you get all of his money right now. I mean, I wouldn't laugh at someone for folding the K9s, but I wouldn't think 'wow donkey' for calling either.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 AM

You rather have 78s than JJ when all in, because if you face a pocket pair higher than yours the 78s crushes the JJ in winning probability.

78h 22,63% vs. KcKd
JhJd 18,47% vs. KcKd
Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Listening to a guy who claims he is risking his rent money to try and build a roll.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOLz - I heard this from a girl the other day...

"I had to call down, I was pot committed"

In a LIMIT game. (and she had a full rack in front of her) LOLZ!!!!

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, I don't think you understand pot commitment in a LIMIT game. She may well have been pot committed. *Clue* stack size isn't the issue in limit.

LOLOLOLZ

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no such thing as "pot committed" in a limit game. You either have odds to call, or you don't.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLZ