Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 AM

Default Peaceful Warrior

Went to the west coast premier of Peaceful Warrior, and stayed for the group meeting after the show. I totally enjoyed the film and will write more about it tomorrow. There were some incredibly professional moments that just reached very deep and some very humorous moments.

perhaps the most important part of this movie is that it will reach many people who would never pick up a book and give more people a shorthand way to communicate important thoughts.

It is hard to believe that the book was written 20 years ago. The hollywood machinery really doesn't make an easy path to production for stories that don't fit a particular niche.

if anyone has seen the da vinci code and the peaceful warrior, i would really appreciate your opinions about which was done better and which is more likely to make any lasting change in how people think and act.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Peaceful Warrior

cynical comment from someone who hasn't seen either:

if a film is competing w/ the Da Vinci Code for long-term impact, then it might be in a bit of trouble, don't you think?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:01 PM

actually, i have read some of the reviews of the da vinci code, and was not impressed. i have watched a great number of programs on television and been interested in the concept. Although i was a voracious reader in the past, i have found that my old eyes rebel at sitting down to even a good book. perhaps it is too many years of watching well lit computer screens.

as far as long term impact...my guess is this will have more than the da vinci code. there is more here to actually apply to everyday life. while it focuses on the growth of a gymnast, it applies to all people.

this movie, the peaceful warrior, is an entertaining story, and what i have heard the da vinci code movie is a bit of a yawner. just the gymnastic sequences are fun to watch for anyone who enjoys the sport.

i am finding that there is a common ground when people have seen the same movie. it is somewhat of a shortcut...you know what they have seen and you have seen it too...all that is left is to iron out the details of what you liked or didn't like...or whether you agree. contrasted to when only one has seen the movie, and you have to start from scratch in explaining.

in fact, i mentioned that fact to one of the producers as perhaps one of the biggest reasons for having philosophical movies in the mainstream...it is important to have things like this in the cultural mainstream.

the beginning of the movie had some of the most intriguing special effects and visual literary devices that are important in advancing the plot and the message... dream/reality, service/greed, love/fear are difficult emotions and concepts to bring to the movie screen. although there are some occasions when it seems they go over the top with the dramatic moments, incredibly, the movie doesn't get too syrupy. it could stand about 5 minutes of cuts that would omit any overly dramatic moments.

I was hoping to write a review and be able to encourage people to see the film...and while i do endorse the film, i find i cannot really write a review without seeing it at least one more time.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:24 PM

Nick Nolte as Mr. Miyagi doesn't work for me somehow.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM

lol...there is a similarity to the karate kid, but it is on a higher level...especially when they meet the thugs in the alley.

perhaps you are thinking of the wild haired nolte, but the 60 plus year old man is very believable.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:31 PM

This book predates karate kid anyways. I am looking forward to seeing the movie, I had no idea it was even being made until about 5 minutes ago...
Old 06-02-2006, 07:47 PM

you are right...i forgot that dan millman's book was printed in 1980. it took over 20 years to get the story to the big screen. however, the karate kid was in the theaters in 1984, so they were pretty much contemporary.

if you are a fan of the book, you will likely enjoy the movie. there were some modifications, but dan seemed quite happy with them...in fact the one they mentioned after the show was regarding the alley scene where they are mugged. IMO the film version is much superior!

there were truly fine performances...if anything, the editing could be improved for mainstream audiences...some of the drama was just a bit overdone for people who are watching for the action as well as the instruction.

the line where the main character brags about only sleeping alone when he really wants to seems right on the money, but i am glad it was filmed now rather than 20 years ago...i think it is a better mainstream movie for the sexuality that may have been downplayed 20 years ago.