Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Question regarding raised pots

Say you raise on the button with 5,6 and flop something like 5,5,9. You bet out and get raised. At microstakes and even at small stakes, is it okay to felt this 100% of the time for 100bb? 200bb? 300bb?

Say you flop top two and opponent flops a set, is okay to just get it in? Do close spots like these really matter long term? Is it a general rule to shove any hand that beats top pair in a preflop raised pot ?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Question regarding raised pots

I think these things are read dependent.

On the 559 hand with 56, if there is still plenty of chips in the effective stacks, I might go into call down mode. Basically, 56 only beats badly played 1-pair hands. ON this drawless flop, any big hand, like 99 or 57s, 58s, has you beaten pretty badly.

As for top two pair, that depends too. Usually, you are probably correct to get all-in with top 2-pair in a raised pot. But I'd be more inclined to do that heads up in a raised pot with 89s on a 895r flop than I might on a AKQ flop, for example. I'm also willing to lay down top 2-pair on coordinated flops and vs post-flop nits who wouldn't be all-in post flop without a set or better given the preflop action and the board.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Question regarding raised pots

Yeah, i agree with Albert. At these stakes you can gain alot of information based upon the read you have. I think i would play the hand slightly different after being re-raised. I would probably raise to another 1/2 his eff stack as i then obv know where i am in the hand.

If he shoves, i think i can fold as you only beat a badly played 1-pair hands which is based on your read. I also feel that at these stakes there are alot more players who like to slow-play compared to betting strong hands, maybe this has something to do with your opponent, i dont know.