Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Country Music

So I took the gf to a Kenny Chesney concert in Jacksonville last night because she really likes country & especially "Kenny" blehhhhhhhhhh.....and wtf I liked it? I didn't really like much country prior to last night but for some reason I found the concert very good. It probably had to do with all the extra guitar and drum play you don't hear or hear as clear on the radio, so it was more like a rock concert. Sugarland played warmup and I find myself liking them too. I must say I was impressed, had a good time, and liked a lot of the songs. Although, considering like 35% of the crowd was drop dead gorgeous college girls from UF,UCF,FSU,UGA, and GT with cowgirl hat and boots on, so that had a lot to do with it. Man that's hot. Am I turning to the dark side or is country not as bad as I thought?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Country Music

Chesney's not exactly the most "traditional" of country artists. In fact, some would argue that he's not very country at all.

That's not making a judgment on the merits of his music. Some of his songs are pretty good. He has a lot of love songs, though, which makes him popular among the females. He's also considered attractive by some, though my wife thinks he's ugly.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I took the gf to a Kenny Chesney concert in Jacksonville last night because she really likes country & especially "Kenny" blehhhhhhhhhh.....and wtf I liked it? I didn't really like much country prior to last night but for some reason I found the concert very good. It probably had to do with all the extra guitar and drum play you don't hear or hear as clear on the radio, so it was more like a rock concert. Sugarland played warmup and I find myself liking them too. I must say I was impressed, had a good time, and liked a lot of the songs. Although, considering like 35% of the crowd was drop dead gorgeous college girls from UF,UCF,FSU,UGA, and GT with cowgirl hat and boots on, so that had a lot to do with it. Man that's hot. Am I turning to the dark side or is country not as bad as I thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just learned a lesson many music nits refuse to learn.

People hate country music - until they actually listen to it. Its not for everybody, but Kenny puts on some of the best, highest-energy shows I've seen (been to 2 of his arena shows and one summer festival with him). If you want to see something turn into a real rock concert with country music, take her to see Keith Urban and listen to his 8 minute guitar solos that you'll never hear on the radio.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:52 PM

I appreciate some country music, but mainly because some of the artists actually have some talent. They can sing, actually play instruments, etc. So much better than a lot of the pop garbage. Overall, I'm pretty meh about country, but in some cases, it's actually OK.

I haven't been to a Chesney concert, but a friend of mine who went said it was a good time because it was "like a country Jimmy Buffett."
Old 04-23-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't been to a Chesney concert, but a friend of mine who went said it was a good time because it was "like a country Jimmy Buffett."

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't put it better myself. Especially as a wanna-be beach bum living in the middle of frickin' Minnesota.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Kenny puts on an amazing show most of the time, I've been to 4 shows I think and only the last one was I a bit disapointed with, but thats cuz I was spoiled the previous times. One time, John Mellencamp came out and they sung a couple of his songs, he also sung Kid Rock songs, Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty, Def Lepard. plus his stuff is obv mostly good too, though I havent been a big fan of his newest stuff.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They can sing, actually play instruments, etc. So much better than a lot of the pop garbage. Overall, I'm pretty meh about country, but in some cases, it's actually OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, many of the most famous country artists don't play any instruments on recordings. That's actually to be commended. They realize that there are better session musicians out there, so they let the session musicians play.

But most country artists have very good singing voices.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They can sing, actually play instruments, etc. So much better than a lot of the pop garbage. Overall, I'm pretty meh about country, but in some cases, it's actually OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, many of the most famous country artists don't play any instruments on recordings. That's actually to be commended. They realize that there are better session musicians out there, so they let the session musicians play.

But most country artists have very good singing voices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, and true. But, when it comes to a concert, most country artists can play an instrument well enough to get by for a live show. Most pop garbage can't do this.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:01 PM

Ok, yeah I feel exactly like the rest. Yeah, I don't like some of his newer songs. The ones I knew and liked we're from his early albums.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:17 PM

i guess i'm on the other side of this one, i like a lot of older country but don't care much for all the gimmicky stuff that's being made these days. although country singers in general have some of the best voices of pop musicians.