Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Psychoactive drugs - whats your position on them?

I'm not making a distinction between legal and illegal ones.

My question is regarding the intention of artificially altering your brain chemistry, for recreation or just to experience something different.

1*What's your personal philosophy on this and why?

2*Do you do it? Why?
2.1*If you don't, would you?

3*If you do it or would do it, how often? Why?

4*If you do it or would do it, what are/would be your intentions?

5*What's your opinion of other people who do it? (please especify if there's a difference between different people who do this at a different level)

Now, since I'm talking about intention, it's murky territory. Does a morning coffee count? Smoking a cigarette? I guess you have to make up your own mind, but please expand.

Personally, I have found certain psychoactive drugs (both legal and illegal) to be quite interesting, as an experience, and as means to function better in certain particular areas of my life. However I like to be the regular me most of the time, but ocassionally I'll agree with trying something different, even if it's just drinking a black coffee to give me more energy when I'm tired or down.

I do not think "badly" of those who choose to be under the effect of strong psychoactives almost 24/7, but I wouldn't choose that for myself, not mainly because it's unhealthy, but because I like the regular me. And I like to experience reality as accurately as possible.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Psychoactive drugs - whats your position on them?

1* Your brain is designed to help you, don't mess with such a vital and important part of you.

2* - No distinction between illegal and legal drugs? So you're talking about alcohol, even paracetamol? I will not use drugs that have adverse effects on my brain.

5* - Those that want to fry their brains are free to do it I suppose. For hard(brain altering) substances I can only think they don't understand what they are doing or don't care. Many people use, I don't feel any different about them as I do other people.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1*What's your personal philosophy on this and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on the drug. I hate marijuana and won't date anyone who smokes it. I think it's an unhealthy escape from reality and has long term effects on personality, motivation and sense of self. And if you've ever seen someone get schizophrenia triggered after smoking their first dope, you'll realize you don't want that [censored] in your head.

I don't like coke, and similar escapes from boredom that dull feeling.

Ecstacy, speed and mushrooms are more experience oriented drugs and ok if used occasionally or to experiment.

[ QUOTE ]
2*Do you do it? Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I do drink when out though, mainly because it's fun.

[ QUOTE ]
2.1*If you don't, would you?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like [censored] with brain chemistry, though a few times for coke or e or general amphetamines shouldn't do any harm.

[ QUOTE ]
5*What's your opinion of other people who do it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I look down on regular users of the escape type drugs.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, since I'm talking about intention, it's murky territory. Does a morning coffee count? Smoking a cigarette? I guess you have to make up your own mind, but please expand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think any kind of addiction is weak willed. You can alter your brain chemistry through your attitude and the experiences you create. There's no need to get hooked on disgusting crap like cigarettes. But there's a big difference between "boost" drugs and personality/mood/inhibition altering ones.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:58 AM

Pretty much everything we do alters our brain chemistry. To some degree I think we'd have to include eating thanksgiving turkey and eating spicy foods in the same category because the subjective effects of the respective tryptophans and capciasinoids are part of why we enjoy them so much.

I think it's good to experience life from a number of different angles, so I can't see how responsible, safe drug usage is bad. Some produce effects that are so significant and life-changing that I think it's unfair to go through life without experimenting with them (LSD, psilocybin, DMT, etc). Some are just a lot of fun without much muss and fuss (marijuana, alcohol). But some are so toxic I won't touch with a ten-foot pole (ecstacy, meth), and others bring about experiences that I'm not terribly interested in (cocaine, heroin).

It's a very broad question, and it depends on who's answering and what they're talking about.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 PM

This thread is just going to be filled with misinformation and uninformed opinions.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM

And if you've ever seen someone get schizophrenia triggered after smoking their first dope, you'll realize you don't want that [censored] in your head.

No? I think you over-estimate what weed does.

Alcohol and Cig's are more dangerous than marijuana if you ask me.

When I smoke, it makes me happy, and crave mcdonalds.

I am a moderate smoker though. Smoke maybe once a week or once every other week, but I have PLENTY of friends who use on a consistent basis. They are still a blast to hang out with. I think the main problem you see with most people who smoke, is the friends they have. If they aren't active, they'll be more inclined to sit on a couch and just relax the night away.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you've ever seen someone get schizophrenia triggered after smoking their first dope, you'll realize you don't want that [censored] in your head.

No? I think you over-estimate what weed does.

[/ QUOTE ]
Read this: http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevent...reetdrugs.html for studies on the effects of marijuana on the adolescent brain.

Alcohol doesn't do this. Cigarettes don't do this. Turkey doesn't do this. Marijuana is clearly doing something not right to your brain chemistry.

[ QUOTE ]
When I smoke, it makes me happy, and crave mcdonalds. I am a moderate smoker though. Smoke maybe once a week or once every other week, but I have PLENTY of friends who use on a consistent basis. They are still a blast to hang out with.

[/ QUOTE ]
The studies suggests that marijuana only slightly affects memory and learning in the long term, so in that sense it's probably no worse than alcohol. But I've seen it alter personality in subtle ways. People lose some of their attachment to life, and some inhibitions. When an artificial substance is causing that change (rather than real life experiences), I don't see it as a good thing.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The studies suggests that marijuana only slightly affects memory and learning in the long term, so in that sense it's probably no worse than alcohol. But I've seen it alter personality in subtle ways. People lose some of their attachment to life, and some inhibitions. When an artificial substance is causing that change (rather than real life experiences), I don't see it as a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm inclined to agree. Marijuana supporters do a disservice to their own cause by being dishonest about the negative effects of the drug. Yes, marijuana is much less physically damaging than alcohol and tobacco. No one can deny that. But it can be very psychologically damaging. Marijuana significantly lowers your testosterone levels, which kills your motivation. This isn't so bad if you're in high school or college where very little is expected of you, but if you're trying to move your life forward, marijuana is really going to impair that, and you're going to be correctly percieved as a loser. When you're in that state of mind multiple times a week, it really affects your outlook on life and turns you into a hippie. "Hey man, we shouldn't have to work, we should just have a society where people, like, live together and and share their possessions with each other."

But if it's just something you do on weekends here and there with your friends, meh, it's pretty benign (and good fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People lose some of their attachment to life, and some inhibitions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that's just your perception. When people start valueing material goods less, doesn't mean their attachment to life is lost.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 PM

I think you've got it backwards Phil, amphetamine and its derivatives, including MDMA, are the ones that are terrible for your brain.
Pot is pretty much harmless in comparison.