Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 01:55 AM

Default PStars .25/.5 NL, QQ faced with flop decision

The hand happened earlier in the day so I apologize for not having the hand history in order to convert it, looks like I'll have to do it by hand.

Hero: $100ish in the sb
UTG: $40
MP: $48

Preflop action:
UTG min raises to $1
MP reraises to $3
Hero ???

I flat call trying to play a small pot OOP with the UTG raiser still to act.

UTG folds, two to the flop

Flop: 9 7 4 rainbow
Hero: ???

I check, again trying to play a small pot

MP: bets pot (about $7)
Hero: calls

Turn: 9

Hero: leads for $9
MP: raises to $20
Hero: ???
Old 07-19-2006, 02:38 AM

Default Re: PStars .25/.5 NL, QQ faced with flop decision

i really don't like the preflop call. Raise to $7 or $8. If he calls he you are most likely ahead. Then just watch out for the A or K. Unfortunately, you are in quite a squeeze here. You have showed weakness throughout the hand. 1010-AA all play this way. Because of the way this hand was played I think this is about 50/50. Since you already have money in... All in.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:56 AM

I agree I could gain more info from a preflop reraise, but at the time i was concerned about the UTG limper, could be a monster? And, like i said, i didnt want to play a big pot with just QQ from OOP. I put him on TT-AA as well, figured 50/50 however i reached a second level of thought. Can TT or JJ really call me here? He has essentially pushed on his own by making it 20. This puts him in the pot for 3 preflop, 7 on the flop and 20 after this. Leaves $15...he's pretty well committed. When it took place i pushed, he called. He had KK. In retrospect I think I should have reraised preflop to gain more info. As played I fold to his raise to 20 since there are very few hands he raises with that I can beat...50/50 could be a reach.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 AM

Yes, unless their pfr is under about 5%, rrz QQ.
Then take it down with a c-bet. You're in a crap spot now.

You don't need a lot of information as to whether to fold since you have a damn good hand and want to get to the river without adding to the pot and going all in.

Either c/r the flop (and represent a set) to see if he 3-bets with AA/KK or else just call all the way down.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:13 AM

The problem is he isn't interested in keeping the pot small enough to call all the way down. He's looking to get it all in. Jack, what can I beat here?

Reasonable range is, very generously 88-AA
I have 88, TT and JJ beat
99 is a set, AA and KK are the only two hands that make sense to want to play a big pot with. what can call his big bet if he has TT that doesnt have him beat?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:42 AM

Well, as played, considering you wanted a small pot, you should fold it on the turn unless, u have some good reads on this guy. The board is pretty scary, and paired top pair on the turn, and yet hi still raises you up, usually thats a lot of strength.

On the other hand, i dont like that weak lead on the turn. If you want to extract most from TT, JJ, you check/call the turn and reevaluate on the river. This way you are doing your best to keep the pot small, although its tough to keep the pot under control out of position.

And reraise preflop for information is just plain bad. If this opponent is a just a little bit tricky he can just flat call with KK or AA, and what you gonna do then? Note, that reraise however is not that bad of an idea, i just dont like the part about more information. You should reraise for different reasons. You should already have some sort of information about the calling range of the reraises for this opponent, and act accordingly, not just randomly reraise for information, not knowing what to expect.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:03 AM

I tend to agree with you about reraising, original response said if he called a reraise i'm likely ahead but i disagree with that. I agree he could easily flat call KK or AA preflop once i've defined my hand so clearly. The lead on the turn is a play i use a lot in order to gain back control of the pot. It is a feeler and i really didnt think he had a 9...sorta ridiculous to put him on that IMO.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:25 AM

Of course he doesnt have a 9, but your lead on the turn sorta represents a 9, dont you think that should at least slow down some opponents with weaker holdings? Not that i like this lead, but once again, this represents some strength, unless he has seen you do it as a bluff, and he would just raise any lead here. And in case, where he does not believe you - its even worse, because you are just inflating the pot through your opponent without really knowing where you stand, and it was clearly stated that the intention was to play a small pot.

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to agree with you about reraising, original response said if he called a reraise i'm likely ahead but i disagree with that. I agree he could easily flat call KK or AA preflop once i've defined my hand so clearly. The lead on the turn is a play i use a lot in order to gain back control of the pot. It is a feeler and i really didnt think he had a 9...sorta ridiculous to put him on that IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2006, 04:42 AM

Is this fr or 6 max?

If it's 6max i'll sometimes play it the same as you pre flop and on the flop and then i'll c/r the turn all in expecting to be nicely ahead of his range, and sometimes i'll make it 9 pf and bomb the flop.

If it's fr then I think you played it ok although a larger(2/3-3/4 pottish) turn lead would be better. c/c down the whole way works also(if villain is quite tight then sometimes you can c/f to a decent sized river bet).

Paul
Old 07-19-2006, 05:43 AM

This is FR.