Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Maximizing Value ..109

1st hand Bodog 109. Stacks 1500. Blinds 5-10.

Hero raises from CO to 35 with QJo.
SB calls.

Flop AK10r.
SB checks.
Hero bets 50.
SB raises to 130.
Hero?

Whats the best line here? Standard 4-bet to 400ish? Anyone like a smooth? Anyone like a fold?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Maximizing Value ..109

LMAO at any1 like a fold... personally I like a smooth call and letting him take the lead in the betting on the turn since he is OOP he will definatly bet the turn after c/ring the flop regardless of how strong his hand actually is here and the board is rainbow so we really just dont want the board to pair here on future streets... also this is much more likely to commit villian to the hand... then you can just re-pop his turn raise or re-evaluate the situation... I honestly dont think getting it all in is going to be your problem here based on the line the SB has choosen to take... making sure you dont get outdrawn is the bigger issue IMO since although you are in the early stages of the tournament in relation to the blinds you are rather deep stacked (most people would toss a who cares since I could just buy-in to another tourney If I bust here but we are talking about maximizing your hand and tournament life here so I still had to say it)...

A 4-bet is fine I just think it defines your hand assuming your opponent is awake... and it will likely lead you less profits on your flopped nuts here... because your opponent will be able to play perfect poker against you if he knows precisely your 2 whole cards he will proceed to call only while the implied odds to stacking you off still have +EV and fold if you bet too much... so even though this is the early stages of a 109 on BODOG I still think you should smooth call mainly for deception purposes and partially to increase your chance of staking your opponent at less risk to your tournament life by peeling a turn card...

Side Note - I am a bit curious however about SBs hand range here... I mean its not like there is that many hands that would like this prodominatly high board who just smooth call out of the SB and then c/r small on the flop like this... ATs and KTs are obvious but you may both have the same hand... alot of the combo draws including top pair like AQ and probably AJ as well are almost certain to challenge a CO raise preflop regardless of how early in the tournament we are...
Old 11-10-2007, 03:02 AM

4-bet here because ppl aren't folding aces up and there are some cards that kill action on the turn. Also they will probably give up a bluff if you call anyway.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:36 AM

What % of the time do you think SB is trying to pull what is essentially a check/mini-raise bluff with air on a high board that looks like it hit heros range dead center?...

I think he has to have something and because many of the semi-bluff hands dont make sense do to the villian just smooth calling preflop... my main concern here is not to scare off my single opponent when I am holding the nuts... you believe that villian wont fold 2-pair... I believe that is probably true to a 4-bet... but it will kill almost any and all further action you get on the following streets nearly 100% of the time and occasionally you will get a fold... villian cant not know he is beat when you 4-bet... a scare card wont come on the turn anywhere near that often... and most of the hands that are possible for semi-bluffs you certainly dont want to shut out of the hand because they are drawing nearly dead with there best chance at any money comming from a split pot...
Old 11-10-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4-bet here because ppl aren't folding aces up and there are some cards that kill action on the turn. Also they will probably give up a bluff if you call anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo, i agree completely.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree and completed effed this hand up. I smooth called.

Turn is K.
SB quickly checks. With this check, I think his hand is pretty face up right now with A10 (could be QJ too but I feel like he would continue betting)..or unless he is going for a sweet double c/r after hitting a boat. Doubtful though.

Pot is 340. Board A10KK
Hero bets 300. SB quickly calls. So Im thinking to myself now, he must have A10.

River is an UGLY K. Board A10KKK
SB thinks for a while and checks.

Just take my medicine and check back? or does anyone try to rep a king here and shove?. I have 1100ish. Pot is around 950. I feel like my hand could look like KQ or KJ to him. Worth it? Does anyone ever fold an ace from his perspective here?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:23 PM

just call. He does like his hand but we're deep enough that I want him to commit more of his chips before scaring him off. You position. Use it to your advantage.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Given the action, I'd fold ace here but ur opponent early in donkathon probably isn't capable of that.