Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Poker Pro tables at Mohegan Sun

I think recreational players are less likely to join because there isn't a dealer there to question, not because of berating. It would be like wandering into a computer lab and asking to join a group of people playing Halo.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think recreational players are less likely to join because there isn't a dealer there to question, not because of berating. It would be like wandering into a computer lab and asking to join a group of people playing Halo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Point.

What the cardrooms and eTable companies need to understand is that although many dealer and cardroom functions can be replaced in part with electronics many cardroom services require a significant amount of personal interaction.

Figuring out how to provide the correct amount and kind of personal interaction while maintaining some of the potential cost savings will be one of the major factors in order for eTables to succeed.

~ Rick
Old 11-07-2007, 10:50 PM

Do you mean have a sort of floating dealer walking aroudn the e-tables who talks to the players? Sort of like the attendant at the self-checkout lines in a grocery store?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you mean have a sort of floating dealer walking aroudn the e-tables who talks to the players? Sort of like the attendant at the self-checkout lines in a grocery store?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really; perhaps more like a host that probably shouldn't play except to start games. Tough job done right.

Anyway, finding the right mix of people on the floor in a larger setup is going to take a lot of thought.

~ Rick
Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to have nothing but e-tables in your poker room you need a cashier to convert cash/chips to credits, a person to sign up new players with a player card (or a bank of machines to do this so players don't have to wait too long), a runner to add cash/chips to their account when they bust so they don't have to leave the table, a host to sign players up for various games and explain options for games, or if they use electronic sign-up to alert them when a seat is open, a Floor to resolve disputes (there is typically an option to stop the game and call someone), reset games that crash, ask players if they want to move up to a higher level, help someone switch tables (not as easy as it seems. At HP you could have you account locked up for 20 minutes if you tried to switch and re buy), get SnG's going. You also need a dedicated training table with a real person. This will probably be a forever thing as there will always be new players who have no clue how to use an e-table.

Multiply these people by how large you want the room to be.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to have nothing but e-tables in your poker room you need a cashier to convert cash/chips to credits, a person to sign up new players with a player card (or a bank of machines to do this so players don't have to wait too long), a runner to add cash/chips to their account when they bust so they don't have to leave the table, a host to sign players up for various games and explain options for games, or if they use electronic sign-up to alert them when a seat is open, a Floor to resolve disputes (there is typically an option to stop the game and call someone), reset games that crash, ask players if they want to move up to a higher level, help someone switch tables (not as easy as it seems. At HP you could have you account locked up for 20 minutes if you tried to switch and re buy), get SnG's going. You also need a dedicated training table with a real person. This will probably be a forever thing as there will always be new players who have no clue how to use an e-table.

Multiply these people by how large you want the room to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points. Even if eTables make major inroads there will never be a point where every function in a cardroom is taken over by a machine. Many jobs would be lost, some would be created and there would be jobs with a mix of functions listed above (along with some not listed).

~ Rick
Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 PM

IIRC Pro Poker cables can only spread hold'em variants. Does anyone know if the new tables can spread Omaha & Stud variants?

7 Stud is still pretty big up here in the north east.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC Pro Poker cables can only spread hold'em variants. Does anyone know if the new tables can spread Omaha & Stud variants?

[/ QUOTE ]

When there were e-tables at HP they spread O8 and PLO as well as LHE and NLHE. I'm sure Stud could be programmed.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When there were e-tables at HP they spread O8 and PLO as well as LHE and NLHE. I'm sure Stud could be programmed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So am I, but the last time I spoke to someone at Poker Tek they told me Stud was planned, but there was no time line.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:46 AM

I think Stud would be very hard to play on these tables. I didn't think they had a display of players' hands big enough that other players could see them from across the table.

I have only seen a table once at HP though, and it was not even in use, so I couldn't tell a lot from looking at the table.