Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 PM

Default 2 hands from $500 live tourney

Seeking views on a couple of key decisions from a recent tourney. Played 9 handed with 5000 starting chips and a 45 minute clock. 80 runner field is made up of mainly average to good recreational players with a few low level pro's thrown into the mix

Hand 1 - Blinds 50 - 100

Scenario I have built up my stack to 6800 without any undue drama and the table is playing generally tight, raises are getting called but there has been very little preflop reraising.

I decide to take advantage by trying to steal a few blinds from any position and raise to 300 with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from UTG+2. This my 1st real move of the tourney I have not been overly aggressive so my image is pretty solid. The player to my left (very solid journeyman pro who is mainly a cash game player) reraises for another 500. He has another 2500 in front of him. I know he has a hand I would'nt put him on a pair less than QQ or AK. All fold back to me, now what ?

Hand 2

Blinds 100 200 I have 8800 chips which is a little bit above average.

UTG 5000 limps this player is pretty passive preflop and will limp in from early position with anything from 65 off suit through to AA and will call a raise with pretty much anything.

I have 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and limp on the button. The SB 7000 chips (solid citizen) calls and the BB 12000 chips long standing pro checks.

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets 600 BB and UTG call. Action with me now what ?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: 2 hands from $500 live tourney

1 fold
2 2100
Old 10-02-2007, 01:36 AM

1st hand is a clear fold.

2nd hand I also fold fast and I like it.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 AM

1) Are you seriously considering not folding? Why?

2) Depends on SB. Tough to say
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 AM

one - I'll play devil's advocate. call b/c you can narrow his hand range so much. if you hit, you might be able to get a ton of chips off of him. (but in reality I would fold - it's a swing and a miss on an early steal).

two- 600 to call in into 2600 - slightly better than 4-1. someone has a straight draw, another has diamonds, third has top pair. I think you might have the best hand now, and if you're behind you've got 4 outs. raise to price out the draws - 2500.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one - I'll play devil's advocate. call b/c you can narrow his hand range so much. if you hit, you might be able to get a ton of chips off of him. (but in reality I would fold - it's a swing and a miss on an early steal).

[ QUOTE ]

Because you're not going to hit hard enough very often, because your hands sucks and because he's competent and in position, #1 is an easy fold.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 AM

Hand 1, fold the first time, due to position, deep money, and no ante, it is not worth stealing. Very easy fold to the reraise. Probably fold the the reraise even if it was soooted.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1st hand is a clear fold.

2nd hand I also fold fast and I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealing with ATC in EP very early, very deep is -eV.

2nd Hand - UUGHH. bottom 2 on this board is very scary (mostly beacuse I go busto so often with bottom 2). You gave a decent read on UTG, but no so much on the others. There are 18 cards you do not want to see. 75% of the time, I raise BIG here to get it heads up/see who's interested. You cannot price in all draws, but what will you do if crazy UTG comes over the top? While its still early, ~25% of the time I will call in position and re-evaluate on the turn. If a blank falls, I can evaluate the betting and hopefully raise or fold at that time. Bottom 2 on a coordinated board isn't the nuts.