Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Default the big move- attempting to become a professional- a few qustions

i've been reading these boards and the HH's for a while now, almost a year, i only just posted because i'm starting to take the game a bit more seriously. So i'm done with college this year, and im going to take the plunge and have a crack at becoming a pro cash game grinder(part time- say 6 hours a day, 5 days a week while i do 2 college courses to get another degree). (+ starting at lower limits, firstly $100NL at 4 tables at the most)

I have a bankroll of just over 5K which i've built up playing over the last year or so just playing 50c/$1 6 max on stars + full tilt.
I have a few questions for experienced players who have taken my announced path, and eventually succeeded up to the higher limits. My goal is to one day get to 5/10NL.

My questions are:
1) what sites would be best for me to help build my roll and develop my game so i can reach a BR of say, 10-15K?

2) how long should i expect to it to take, to reach a 15K BR ( that's about 10K profit) playing at these levels. I am basically a very patient player and i'm not up to that stage of making moves and huge bluffs. I just play my cards and go with the percentages, trying to maxmise my gains from overly aggressive and isolating fishy type players in position,which i find ALOT of at pokerstars).

3) is rakeback important in building my roll? i love stars because of the fish, but this no rake back seems like it could be hurting me alot- i see alot of people who are regulars on the stars 100NL and doing well, but they're obviously not getting rake back on stars- is it that crucial in the lower limits? should i switch to a site with rakeback? ( please don't offer me deals, i have sources already).

4)how many hands in pokertracker should i have and what should my hourly win rate be to be considered a 'winning' 50c/1 player? or at any level for that matter.

5)what time frame would i be looking at to moving up to becoming a full time $1/$2 grinder(if i am a winning player at 50c/1)

6)if there are any low/lower stakes grinders out there, how long have you been playing for and what is a general hourly profit from your game. how many tables do you play and what are the best sites?

If you can offer any more advice to a noobie who is taking a shot, please don't hesitate, it would be greatly appreciated.

tate_22
Old 10-30-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: the big move- attempting to become a professional- a few qustions

Search, search, search.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 PM

3) If you're putting in enough hands, the FPP system essentially becomes rakeback. I don't have the exact figure, but each FPP has a small dollar amount, using VIP multipliers they gain near value to rakeback.

4) A constant winrate at 20k hands is pretty evident of a winning player (unless you're having some sick runs), strive for any winrate greater than 4 at NL100.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM

from what i hear supernova is equivalent to 20% rakeback.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 PM

ok cool thanks for the replies so far guys much appreciated, i'd really love to hear what some low stakes pros have to say too
Old 10-30-2007, 01:25 PM

I don't have advice just wanted to say good luck
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM

Good luck
Old 10-30-2007, 01:51 PM

4) A constant winrate at 20k hands is pretty evident of a winning player. this is way to small a sample even over 100k you could be anywhere between -/+ 5bb from your true winrate.

Biggest thing for me is mentality and bankroll can you drop 10 buy ins and it not effect you? can you lose or break even for a month + and still be able to seperate poker from the rest of your life?

I am going pro in may and now after 3 years of play finally and mentally strong enough.

Also to go full time i recommend 100 buy ins at each limit.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 PM

You can't be a professional without being a winning player. Don't seriously consider turning pro without a good idea what your win rate is. Don't ask others what your win rate is; we have no way to know.

A lot of break-even players, and those who even lose at the levels where they plan to earn a decent living, try to turn pro. It usually is stressful and doesn't end well.

I recommend getting a job and playing a little in your spare time.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't be a professional without being a winning player. Don't seriously consider turning pro without a good idea what your win rate is. Don't ask others what your win rate is; we have no way to know.

A lot of break-even players, and those who even lose at the levels where they plan to earn a decent living, try to turn pro. It usually is stressful and doesn't end well.

I recommend getting a job and playing a little in your spare time.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Also in my experience the games are softer live if you are located where live games are readily available.