Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 04:22 AM

Default 5/10 half pot game full of calling stations

The main game I play in at the moment is a live 10 player half pot game. 5/10 blinds. The game is generally filled with weak players but preflop raising is difficult because if you are the first to open you can only make it double the BB, and even if you have 6 limpers ahead of you you can only make it another 3BB, and in this game it is virtually guaranteed that anyone who limps will call one raise, and those who planned to limp will still call as well.

Flop bets also get called with backdoor draws, gutshots, and a lot of other garbage type hands less than top pair. By the turn if they haven't hit a strong draw or made their hand palyers generally drop out as by this time the pot and bet sizes are getting pretty big. The players in it basically play it the same way they play in a fishy 10/20 limit game. They have a wide calling range and don't bluff very often.

I've done a search but couldn't find any threads discussing strategy specific to a half pot game so am interested if anyone can give me any kind of specific advice playing in this type of game. The area I'm looking at in particular right now is my preflop raising strategy. The game is kinda a weird middle ground between limit and no limit, and I can't really work out whether its best to push preflop equity with all premium hands from all positions, like you would in a limit game, or limp with hands like AQ/AK in early/mid position keeping the pot small and look to build a big pot with your pocket pairs and suited connectors in late position throwing them away when you don't hit a monster.
any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:28 AM

Default Re: 5/10 half pot game full of calling stations

sorry forgot to add this is holdem obviously and stack sizes are usually around $1000
Old 10-13-2006, 06:23 AM

sorry I've just realised I posted this in the wrong forum. If a mod can move this thread to the "pot limit" forum it would be appreciated otherwise I'll repost it myself later.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 AM

bump
Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 PM

i have never played in the structure you describe, but i do like discussing theory, so here goes.
[ QUOTE ]
Flop bets also get called with backdoor draws, gutshots, and a lot of other garbage type hands less than top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
this seems pretty close to correct. if someone leads for half pot in a 10bb pot 5 way, you need to call 5bb getting 3:1, but by the time it gets to the last player its more like 6:1 or 7:1, assuming a passive game.

i'd go for a lot of limp reraises with high card hands preflop, and go for a checkraise on the flop, assuming someone behind you is probably going to throw out a few chips with top or mid pair. c/r would be a strong tool, because it allows you to get that extra half pot bet in, which is going to be critical in building pots. it also will help you force bad odds on the drawing hands and lesser pair hands, if you can get them to call two cold.

it seems like this game will play postflop a lot like limit, with draws going up in value from implied odds.