Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 AM

Default SS games - encouraging a culture of showing your hand

This applies mainly to small to medium stakes live games, both limit and no limit.

I think it can be beneficial in certain games for expert players to show their hands, either when you weren't called or when you called and were beat, but only if you think it will cause others who don't normally show their hands to change their habits.

Uneducated/inexperienced players will not be able to use the information they gain from you as effectively as you will use the information you gain from them. The free exchange of information will give an expert an additional edge over a table of amatuers.

Obviously this only applies to a table where people are not showing their hands unles they have to. Often at small stakes games players tend to show their hands anyway, so in that game you wouldn't tend to show your hand unless it was for a specific purpose like you think it might put someone on tilt. But in a game of amatuers where hands aren't being showed, I think there's real value in keeping it friendly and showing your hand if it will cause other players to start doing the same.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:47 AM

Default Re: SS games - encouraging a culture of showing your hand

Showing your hand in this situation and not showing your hand in other situations? If you are always right with every opponent you might gain a slight edge. I think there are other things more important to think about during a game. I never show my hand unless I have to. If I want to give an opponent miss-information I prefer to give it verbally.

This is one of many that work for me:

Head up, I make a big bet on the river. Opponent thinks for a while and then folds.

Opponent then asks, "Did you have the Jack (or some other card that makes the nuts)?

Gimpy with complete confidence as he stacks his chips, "It doesn't matter what I had. If I had 72o/s I still would have won that hand."

Opponent, "How so?"

Gimpy, "I knew you couldn't call."

Opponent, "How would you know that?"

Gimpy, "You have a tell."

Opponent, “What tell ?!!!!”

You can see the wheels turning in their head.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:39 AM

I will not gain any information I didn't already have.

I know they are playing crap, why do I need to see it?
More importantly, if I decide to start playing looser
and the amateurs fear me - why would I want to change
that?

As far as trying to intimidate people by telling them
how cool you are and that you can read tells, don't
bother. You'll either get laughed at or maybe they
will be scared and not invite "The Shark" back.

Not good ideas here.

-ZEN
Old 10-03-2006, 04:20 PM

Gimpy's post is actually the opposite sentiment of mine. I advocate being friendly and doing everything to make the fish feel comfortable. Trash talking is not the way to do that IMO.

Zen obviously my advice wouldn't apply in a weak tight game where you are bluffing more than usual.

And you are gaining information. If players start showing their hands all the time you are getting a lot more information than if you only see their hands when they're called or when they win.