Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 01:26 PM

Default 3-6 Stud/8 - Who Wins Which Half?

I thought this stud/8 hand I played last night was interesting. I was about 75% sure my hand was good for half the pot, but I wasn't sure which half.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.58 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.92 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (3.46 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (15.46 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

River - (27.46 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls___disconnected and is all-in
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (32.46 BB)

My third-street call was somewhat loose, especially given that a six was out, but I thought it played itself on later streets.

What's your read on who won what?

(And do you think Seat 1's disconnect on the river was a leetle bit suspicious?)
Old 09-06-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: 3-6 Stud/8 - Who Wins Which Half?

re: seat 1's disconnect: SInce he knows it is only one more bet, then it is stupid, not suspicious, since he is already into the pot for 10 big bets.

If he disconnected during the raising war on 6th, then that would make more 'sense'.

T
Old 09-06-2006, 01:35 PM

I think 3rd street is fine. If this was on PP then an Ace raising means exactly nothing to me. Obviously everything else is also good.

I would put the 1 Seat on two pair, three or a kind or something like that.

I have no idea what Seat 3 is betting 6th with. Suited clubs with a nine doesnt doesnt work, Aces up is a possiblity but I would bet he has something huge...gotta have one or two nines in the hole or otherwise he is just batshit insane.

I would say you at least won the low...right? My guess would be that since you posted this the guy had a wheel draw with a flush draw or something...and then made a low or flush? and then maybe you won the high? or got scooped?

It really doesnt matter though because your play was perfectly fine and obviously that is what is important.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:39 PM

Re Disconnect:

On Pokerstars high speed tables I have timed out while trying to make hard decisions. When that happens, the screen msg says "Disconnect" even tho I'm still there. (But my hand is folded.)

In other situations, if I'm not mistaken, "Disconnected" players in a hand are treated as "All-In."

If it's possible to "Disconnect" deliberately to put yourself in an "All-In" status, then that seems to me a bad rule. It obviously enables a player to avoid further risk while maintaining a stake in the hand. I wld think the site cld tell the difference btwn a time-out and a true disconnect. Even a true disconnect cld be suspicious depending on the size of the pot, the cards held, and whether the player had any history in this regard.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:51 PM

I'm not going to post the result yet, but I will coyly say that it was what I thought the least likely of all the possibilities. I was seriously wondering how the heck I could have misread the other players' hands so badly.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:56 PM

In order to disconnect on Stars, and keep equity in the pot, you must actually be disconnected from the server, not be timed out.

This has happened to me once during a thunder storm. I caught my flush, and incurred the wrath of the losing players who thought I shot an angle.

Pstars appears to take this seriously, and if you have any doubts, email support the game number, and they will check it out.

this link has an example of a PStars response.
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ing.google.com

T
Old 09-06-2006, 03:18 PM

how do these guys usually play?

i'm gonna take a stab anyway, but it's as much guesswork as anythg else!

seat 1... has QT in the hole for a str8 on 5th, or KK in the hole for trips K's that didn't improve.
seat 3... has A9 in the hole for 9's full of aces on 6th.

and u got the low?
Old 09-06-2006, 06:46 PM

alan does seat 3 have to be full to make a bet into two opponents like this?

if so then i dont really like jamming it this hard, because it looks like seat 1 is calling for low pot equity, and has a significant chance to improve and leave you getting none of this. the river probably made him miss, but in theory, if he has a wheel draw, he's going to make his hand enough on the river to make your play kind of loose unless villains play particularly laggy.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 PM

I think you likely scooped the pot.

The thing that stuck out to me was why no raise on 4th? I like putting the A 5 to a decision with that type of 2way hand. I like raising 4th and seeing if the A 5 would either fold or repop it and get rid of the A K high. Even if the both call, you're building a nice big pot with all kinds of equity.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:12 PM

I'm not coming up with a scenario that actually makes sense. If you failed to take low, then whoever beat you is probably not a good player. If the guy with open Nines didn't beat you with a full house, he's probably not a good player. If the guy with AKJ beat you with a Broadway straight, he's probably not a good player.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if you got shut out on this hand. Maybe seat 1 had Broadway and the other guy got really optimistic with a wheel draw. Who knows? I gave up on reading hands years ago.