Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Re: Sit \'N Go strategy-reviews?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're sulking because they weren't consulted. Given the level of analysis most of the rated players indulge in, I'm not very surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. If you think that the top sng players weren't consulted because of the strategy advice in STTF, then you are very disillusioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, if their level of reading comprehension matches yours, I'd not be disillusioned at all. I say "analysis", you read "advice". The advice might be ultrasound but if it comes without analysis, it's not so valuable. Do you not see that?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:58 AM

I'm writing a fairly thorough (well... long anyway) review of the book and I should be done tomorrow. As a preview, if you don't like jerkish know-it-all SNG players coming down from on high and providing answers defended with incomplete qualitative logical arguments, you probably won't like Part 2 or Part 3. Part 1 has been covered pretty well in this thread already. I read Part 4 tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When an except of this book was first posted, I mentioned in the thread that I thought it could use some proof-reading and editing. I was ridiculed because, in my haste, I used one piece of poor syntax in the post. Of course, in the eyes of the overzealous posters I often encounter here, one such error invalidates my entire point, so I didn't bother to post any further and my comments went unheeded.

Now, I think the book is lucid and readable, but there are, at the very least, two syntactic errors that should have been caught.

p.24 (top)
"(While many of the hand examples in this section continue post-flop, so play after the flop will be discussed systematically in the next section."
OBVIOUSLY, THE WORD "SO" IS ENTIRELY UNECESSARY

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to stop reading your post because I couldn't find that last word in the dictionary.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:12 PM

to be fair, jeff, you should have stopped reading at the third word ("except") in my post, because although it is in the dictionary, it is certainly not the word i intended to put there. maybe I could have gotten through to you had i used "excerpt"...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:46 PM

I just got mine and will read it and share my thoughts after playing a bit after reading...
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM

book review in STTF
Old 08-02-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're sulking because they weren't consulted. Given the level of analysis most of the rated players indulge in, I'm not very surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. If you think that the top sng players weren't consulted because of the strategy advice in STTF, then you are very disillusioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, if their level of reading comprehension matches yours, I'd not be disillusioned at all. I say "analysis", you read "advice". The advice might be ultrasound but if it comes without analysis, it's not so valuable. Do you not see that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh gee, amazing I misunderstood you. When you said 'level', you meant 'quantity' and not 'quality'. Wait, what does level mean again 'quantity' or 'quality'?

Anyway, what I read of your statement is a critique on their quality (level) of analysis. Which, can only really be critiqued if it exists. So, maybe my reading comprehension isn't so bad? Maybe your point wasn't so clear?

Maybe if you want to talk about the lack of analysis. You could use words like 'lacking', 'absence', etc.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 AM

Why do people get hung up when a situation's correct solution is to play in at least two different ways with usually vastly unequal frequencies? Optimal play often has this characteristic, one should read books with this assumption in mind--it would eliminate lots of noise--or perhaps it should be mentioned in every introduction.

Woe is to Malmuth who had the chance not to abuse his power.

Do not forget:

Power corrupts.

Apostrophic power corrupts apostrophically.

Sit 'N Go is missing an apostrophe after the N...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe if you want to talk about the lack of analysis. You could use words like 'lacking', 'absence', etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I really like the word dearth but regret the level of opportunities to use it.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh gee, amazing I misunderstood you. When you said 'level', you meant 'quantity' and not 'quality'. Wait, what does level mean again 'quantity' or 'quality'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, "that's standard" might seem to you the height of quality in analysis, but I guess our mileage varies there.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, what I read of your statement is a critique on their quality (level) of analysis. Which, can only really be critiqued if it exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The quality of your poetry is really [censored] low if you don't write any poems.

[ QUOTE ]
So, maybe my reading comprehension isn't so bad? Maybe your point wasn't so clear?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was quite clear I was talking about analysis not advice. Maybe you should get your momma to read posts out to you, and ask her to explain the words you don't understand?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A simple "sorry, I didn't get it" would have made you look less of a prick, dude. Just so you know.