Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Binion\'s Classic

I will be heading to Vegas tonight, and am debating playing in the $150 mixed holdem tournament on Sat Jun 23 at Binions.

Has anyone played in the Binions Classic yet? What are your opinions on the tournaments? If anyone has a better recomendation for a low buy in tourney saturday, please let me know.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Binion\'s Classic

Yes its bang for the buck and well run.I should be there for the PL08.
Sorry you havent had responses but most people here are transfixed on tilting about the WSOP donkfest.
What a friggin joke.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:45 PM

Here is another thread regarding the Binions Classic:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1
Old 06-22-2007, 07:55 PM

I've played two of the Binion's Classic events (ITM in the 6-max last weekend and the one today where I made an early exit). They're getting a good turnout. 274 for the 6-max and 574 today. I'm told that the full ring NLHE events are all drawing 400+. The tournament is well run and I've got no complaints. My only advice would be to not get there at the last minute or you may be standing in line when the cards hit the air.

The Orleans has a couple on Saturday that could be alternatives. At 12:00 they have a limit HE tournament with a $40 buy-in (plus $5 dealer bonus for additional chips) one $40 re-buy. At 7:00 they have a $60 NLHE event (also with $5 dealer bonus and a single $40 re-buy). Both events start with t1000+t250 bonus. Rebuys are t2000 in both.

In your place (meaning that I could stand to play limit) I'd probably pick Binion's, but if things go badly for you hopping out to the Orleans for the 7:00 might be a good, cheap, second chance.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM

Should have added that Binion's has a 7:00 tournament as well (I believe $70 buy-in) that is still happening during the Binions Classic. I prefer the Orleans at 7:00 because I think you get a little more play, but if you don't want to run across town it could work as a second chance as well.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:10 AM

Anyone know what their room rates are? They don't even have an online reservation system.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:33 AM

I've played 2 events there and went out relatively close to the money both times... Today I lost KJv55 for like.... a 25k stack in 300/600 which would've obvi let me run over the weak, weak field.

Both tourneys I played there the fields were like... unbelievably soft and really bad, but by the time you get up there in blinds there isn't a whole lot of play available which sucks.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 AM

I played in the event today (36/574, I am dead money at NL so I was happy to place ITM) - it was really very well run.
Two of the dealers had a lot of trouble with hands with multiple side pots, and one time when I colored up one almost shorted me 5000 chips, but other than these isolated incidents it was well run and well dealt. I would keep a sharp eye on any side pots you are involved in.
FWIW, I am playing in the mixed event tomorrow based on the positive experience today. I am not well versed in tourney structures but it seemed like you get alot of play considering the low buy-ins - it is a great WSOP warmup or if you just want to play in a big-field tourney.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know what their room rates are? They don't even have an online reservation system.

[/ QUOTE ]

While Binions is wonderful place to play poker, I wouldn't recommend staying in thier hotel, I've not heard very good things from ppl who have stayed there.

However, just a short walk away is the Four Queens.

Nothing fancy, but good clean rooms, rates are reasonable, and they do have an online booking system.

http://www.fourqueens.com

Be sure to request a room on the side opposite from Freemont street, so you don't have to listen to the music of the Experience all night long.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM

Binion's poker rate is $29 on weekdays and $45 on weekends. The rooms are on par with a Motel 6 at best, but if you plan on playing cards all day, it's not a bad deal. They also give you $2/hr in comps, so you can pretty much eat for free if you play there for several hours.

The tournament has a good structure and the dealers/floorpeople are generally competent and friendly.