Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Great Play or Pissing?

Here's a hand a freind of mine played recently and told me he thought his opponents played brilliantly. I was skeptical, but curious to hear other opinions:

Live 10/20 game, 2 limp hero limps in MP w/ QJs late player raises, blinds fold and 4 see the flop.

The flop comes J 9 6r. 1st player bets 2nd calls, hero calls (is a raise in order here?) player on the button raises, 1st 3 bets cold call, call (he didn't buy he was beat he told me) button calls.

Turn 2. Checked around (!) to preflop raiser who bets and 1st player check raises and next call hero folds button calls.

River 5. Checked around!

Q1) How well or badly did hero play?

Q2) Guesses on what everyone had.

A2) scroll down a bit

1st had K9, 2nd 87 (mader straight on river), last had TT,

Q3) how well did his adveraries play? Hero thought they played brilliantly as they succeeded in getting him off the best hand. I kind of thought K9 way over played his hand though.

ANy comments appreciated.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Great Play or Pissing?

Hero played hand 1 terribly. A flop raise in a pot this size is essentially mandatory. Having missed that, a river value bet is in order. Any decent hand reader would put the flop raiser on a missed straight draw on the river, and with the flop 3-bettor checking the river, his hand is defined as probably not strong... after all, who does he expect to bet this river for him?

Top pair decent kicker, with two opponents who may pay off with weaker hands, is plenty to value bet.

Let's see how they played it...

87: doubtful flop 3-bet. Shutting out players when you are drawing is usually not a great plan. Of course, it appears everyone called, in which case he got a little value. Risky though.

River check is awful. Last-to-act is marked with a draw at this point, and nobody else has given any indication they will bet. Checking takes way too much risk of a check through that can cost you multiple bets.

K9: an aggressive flop raise, but I don't hate it. A free card play gone wrong perhaps. It depends a lot on what this guy was thinking at the time.

TT: terribly played. Easy fold when it's raised and 3-bet back to him.

I don't know what you mean about hero being played off the best hand. Didn't he call the flop and then have it get checked down? Overall, this hand looks like a bunch of rookies with poor hand reading skills and a very good game.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 PM

lol @ getting free cards out of position in a 4 way field.

I'd say 87 played this best, and by best I mean "least terribly."
Old 06-04-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Great Play or Pissing? Some clarification

The turn wasn't checked around, the preflop raiser bet and got checkraised, and it was cold called and hero folded and preflop raiser called.

The river was checked around and hero was out then.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM

For elindauer, the player who bet out on the flop bet and then reraised so the T's has to call the flop as he's getting something like 17-1 and there is some chance his hand is good.

The 87 did nothing but call and call.

Sorry for any confusion, I just reread the post and think it says what I thought it said.