Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Do I Misunderstand The Double Slit Experiment

[ QUOTE ]
so ... what happens if we set up the cameras to watch the slits, and we bring two people into the room.

Person A does not know the cameras are set up and can see the screen. What does he see?

Person B knows the cameras are set up, but can't see the screen. Afterwards, he takes the camera, falls down and the film is destroyed. He returns to the screen, what does he see?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do A and B ever communicate with each other?

[ QUOTE ]
At this point in time, Person A returns, does what he see differ than what he saw earlier?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know A ever left? What difference would that make? The screen cannot magically change from what he has previously seen.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so ... what happens if we set up the cameras to watch the slits, and we bring two people into the room.

Person A does not know the cameras are set up and can see the screen. What does he see?

Person B knows the cameras are set up, but can't see the screen. Afterwards, he takes the camera, falls down and the film is destroyed. He returns to the screen, what does he see?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no they never communicate with each other (nor do they even know someone else is in the room) until after they have both seen the screen for the first time.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
At this point in time, Person A returns, does what he see differ than what he saw earlier?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know A ever left? What difference would that make? The screen cannot magically change from what he has previously seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok well this question isn't that important, but the question is if A will observe the particle pattern even if he does not know the slit is being observed AND the film is destroyed in the future (but before the film is actually destroyed).
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM

From wiki as well "the total pattern of signal photons never shows interference, and it is only when one looks at a subset of signal photons whose idlers were seen at a particular detector that an interference pattern can be recovered. So, the experiment would certainly not allow one to send a message back in time, and whether the experiment requires any sort of backwards causality to understand it would depend on one's interpretation of quantum mechanics." So why is this spooky again?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 PM

I don't know much about Quantum physics nor photons, but it seems if a person or a light recording decive is viewing the photon experiment as it occurs that it will interfere with it. Photons would inevitably be refracted off the eye or camera lens and 'ruin' the experiment compared to an unobserved experiment.

Just curious, how the hell do they only send one photon at a time toward a plate?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no they never communicate with each other (nor do they even know someone else is in the room) until after they have both seen the screen for the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then they communicate. I said "ever".

Still thinking about my response though.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From wiki as well "the total pattern of signal photons never shows interference, and it is only when one looks at a subset of signal photons whose idlers were seen at a particular detector that an interference pattern can be recovered. So, the experiment would certainly not allow one to send a message back in time, and whether the experiment requires any sort of backwards causality to understand it would depend on one's interpretation of quantum mechanics." So why is this spooky again?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. This is news to me. Also, it doesn't quite make sense. How could you look at a subset of photons that were seen at a particular detector if you have destroyed the information from the detectors? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does the answer differ if A and B never communicated (ever), or if they only communicate after they have both seen the screen?

does the answer differ if A tells B what he saw before B sees the screen (but after the film is destroyed)?

but i guess this also depends on what A actually sees and if its even possible for A and B to see different things.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM

what about ebr, action at distnance thingee, einstein-bohr-(rosenberg?) pair.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM

If A & B communicate, then obviously they will have observed the same thing on the screen (whatever that might be).

IF A & B never communicate, then I believe they can have seen different things.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]If the camera measures which slot each photon went through, it's the same pattern on the screen for all.