Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Help me pick a Rolex

[ QUOTE ]
I like 1 and 2 the best. Would probably go with 2. I just think that color of face looks good with almost anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, 1 and 2 are the best by far.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i almost want to get 2 myself now. how much is it? if less than 4k i will get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

under 4k? you must be new to rolex.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM

Lots of people are saying #2, but that's the only image that is a Red X for me.

So I'll just say that I would buy an IWC before I ever bought a Rolex: http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/iwc1.html
Old 04-11-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've always been fond of the Sea Dweller.

Keep in mind, if you go with TAG or Rolex you need to wear it full time since they both work on kinetic energy to keep it working. If you leave it alone and not on your wrist for a few days it will stop.

For people with multiple watches that they wear, this is kinda annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this true? i don't know about rolexes, but i know one of the less expensive brands (maybe seiko) has a kinetic energy watch that will remember the time while in storage. when you want to wear it, you just shake it a little and the arms go to the correct time. pretty cool imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

its automatic vs. quartz

automatic, rolexes, breitling, most tag's, and other nice watches don't run on batteries where quartz watches do. automatic watches wind themselves based off of movement where quartz watches wind themselves with batteries.

if you have more than one automatic watch, buy a watch winding box. you can store your automatic watch in the box because it moves the watch around, thus keeping it wound and ticking
Old 04-11-2007, 01:35 PM

rolex for less than 4k is not unreasonable as far as i can see
Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is this true? i don't know about rolexes, but i know one of the less expensive brands (maybe seiko) has a kinetic energy watch that will remember the time while in storage. when you want to wear it, you just shake it a little and the arms go to the correct time. pretty cool imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

its automatic vs. quartz

automatic, rolexes, breitling, most tag's, and other nice watches don't run on batteries where quartz watches do. automatic watches wind themselves based off of movement where quartz watches wind themselves with batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half true. The part about the automatic watches is correct. The part about quartz watches is, for the most part, correct. Most quartz watches use batteries to power the quartz signal. However, Seiko has a line of watches that doesn't have a battery. It uses the motion of the wearer's arm, in a manner similar to automatic watches, to charge a capacitor. Like an automatic watch, it needs to be worn every few days or else the capacitor loses charge. However, Seiko has a line called Auto Relay that keeps time internally when the capacitor is low on charge.

Seiko's Kinetic technology is purely a gimmick. The supposed goal of the watch is that it is a quartz watch that never needs a new battery. That's true. However, it does need a new capacitor periodically because the capacitor no longer stores charge. So there are no real advantages over battery-operated quartz watches.