Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2006, 08:50 AM

Default Re: $400/800 HU turn

[ QUOTE ]
im assuming limper is paul, how was senor flush playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, limper is paul. He was playing well but going after Paul specifically a lot (ie raised with 32s from the CO cuz it was Paul's BB).

My previous posts explain why i feel like he can have a small PP.

[ QUOTE ]
as far as the river, what does he 3-bet that you beat?

KQ maybe?

does he bet the river with it?

i think its a fold if hes playing well

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

As the rest of the hand played out, I check/called the turn, and check/folded the blank river. Given that he views me as a payoff station I'm not sure and don't think he'd bet KQ that often vs me (on both the turn and river).

Maybe this would have been a more interesting hand vs SenorFlush to post:

SenorFlush raises from the CO, I 3bet with KK on the button, Mark calls in the BB, SenorFlush 4-bets and comments "jack 8 again? [I had 3-bet him with J8s a few orbits earlier]", I call (5-bet cap) and Mark calls.

Flop Q63. SF bets, I raise, mark folds, SF 3-bets, I call. Turn 5 SF bets, I raise, SF 3-bets, I call. River 3, SF bets, I call.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't raise from the SB w/ AJ in this spot, even if UTG+1 is terrible. It's unlikely to get the pot headsup and just builds a bigger pot when you're out of position, and you may just get repopped if UTG+1 is somewhat sly, which most people playing 4/8 are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If SenorFlush wants to call my raise with T6o that's fine with me. If people want to repop me with a worse hand, that's fine. If you want to keep the pot small, fine, but I think the reasons for raising AJ are better than for just completing when there's only one limper. And the limper, although capable of being crazy, wasn't in a crazy mood -- just take my word for that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take your word on that. You were there and I'm 600 miles away. I like to keep the pot small here for lots of reasons (they'll be in the book), but there is merit to doing what you did. I can't fault you, but I have a lot more success keeping the pot small. Your mileage may vary, depending on how your opponents perceive you.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

I would bet this flop out and let the players yet to act deal with you. Jam the flop if you get two callers. I don't like the check-raise here either. You might as well get SrFlush to pop you on the flop so you can play headsup in a big pot. YOu can either then 3-bet or call. I like three betting here, though.

The limper folded to the 3-bet PF, it's already HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I didn't catch that in the original post. Now your play makes good sense, but betting out and taking it from there also has merit, which I know you are aware of.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

A turn checkraise is a bad idea against a good player. I like check-calling as you played it, because he's calling down with 66, AQ, or about anything. This pot is gigantic, so I don't think you can fold on any river cards, though I wouldn't like it if I didn't improve. This all follows from raising preflop.

If a good player was in the BB and 3-bet PF with 55 or 66, and then was faced with this action on the turn, would they bet/fold it or bet/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's where we disagree. If a good player 3-bet with 55 or 66, he felt his hand was clearly strong enough to push you around. This board wouldn't likely hit hands that you have raised with from the SB. Therefore, you either had him beat already (where he would not raise you preflop if your hand range were that narrow, which isn't a bad thing, necessarily), or he's still in the lead. I think you'll get 3-bet a lot more often agaisnt a truly tough player than you think, with good reason. If he has a gutshot along with his pair you can almost count on it. I also think he'd bet AQ/AK here, along with small pairs for this reason, so checking to get a free card or making a play, while useful in many spots, isn't super great here. That said, putting in a single bet with a check-call is OK.

In any event, it's a really interesting hand. I've heard stories about how great the games are right now and I'm jealous I can't get out there, but I'm sure you're killing them out there. Best of luck and make sure you buy something fun and nice with all that loot!

Regards,

Sucker
Old 07-08-2006, 03:57 PM

check raise is foolish. call.

read the rest of the posts. also he will bet kq there almost always.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:33 AM

Put me in the hate a turn checkraise camp. He is gonna wonder why you slowplayed a big hand on a T98 flop. You cant have a 9 and that would be strange way to play AA KK cause you didnt 4 bet, and it would be a strange line with 1010-QQ. I think he will smell it out more often than not and make a thin call down.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Online, this guy won't ever fold a piece of that board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 120%. I wouldn't try it because he's 3bet the turn 3 ways and check called the river with AK high before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible that we shouldn't try and make a play at this pot at all? No flop check-raise, no turn check-raise, no weird donkbets anywhere? That was my first instinct when reading the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Except that's how I play this hand almost always. And if I almost always play this hand this way, then I'm pretty exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I also kind of thought this might be one of those third level things. It's such a bloody obvious semibluff that perhaps it becomes more credible.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this would have been a more interesting hand vs SenorFlush to post:

SenorFlush raises from the CO, I 3bet with KK on the button, Mark calls in the BB, SenorFlush 4-bets and comments "jack 8 again? [I had 3-bet him with J8s a few orbits earlier]", I call (5-bet cap) and Mark calls.

Flop Q63. SF bets, I raise, mark folds, SF 3-bets, I call. Turn 5 SF bets, I raise, SF 3-bets, I call. River 3, SF bets, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a few people ask, so I'll just post that SF had AQ and I won.

Also, though it generated zero additional discussion, I think when considering SF's entire range of hands and how he can react to my various actions, I think it's probably best for me to call on the turn and raise on the river...But it's close.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think CRing this flop for a free card on the turn is pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the flop c/r OOP is for a free card.
I agree with Baronz I like c/c, c/c
It gives the impression of strength, and after two calls, its hard to bluff a third. call the river UI depending on how he throws his chips in (i.e read)

JT