Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM

Default 50nl: JJ facing a min raise on the flop.

Villian is a reg and is playing 21/8/4 over 125 hands. I havn't really played any pots against him. Im playing about 21/16 and havn't gotten too out of line.

What does this minraise mean and what should I do next?

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $15.30
BTN: $83.55
SB: $70.25
BB: $132.55
Hero (UTG): $49.75

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, 2 folds, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($6.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $10</font> Hero??

Results: $16.25 Pot ($16.25 Rake)
Old 10-10-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: 50nl: JJ facing a min raise on the flop.

I don't like getting c/r with an overpair but here I think you are well ahead of his range. No way villain has a bigger pair and I can't see him having a 2.

Expect to see flush draws or 88-TT so I push for value here
Old 10-10-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Expect to see flush draws or 88-TT so I push for value here

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't "push for value" the only hands that call you have you beat

I think I call and reevaluate on the turn?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:04 PM

I don't think he has a flush draw, I think the most likely things he has are 77-10's. Though with such a dry board, I might even c/c with 77, raising here really exposes our hand.

That being said, I think I call this and see what he does on the turn. I might fold to a large raise, otherwise i'm c/c turn and hoping he checks river.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 PM

I don't get calling here. You have two cards that can help you out on the turn. Also, the villian has an AF of 4. He is going to probably pot size bet the turn when a blank for you comes. So then what are you going to do?

I think you have to shove here. This is basically a great flop for you. BB could have 2 diamond overs or a lower pocket pair. He would have re-raised preflop if he had AA-KK, maybe even QQ. If he has 77 or 22, shrug and move on.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM

I think shoving here is really bad as like said above, you're pretty much pushing out all worse hands and slightly behind hands like AQ diamonds. The best you can get called with really is a flush draw with only one overcard, and that's essentially a flip. He *maybe* calls with 99 or TT, and that's pretty much what you're hoping for if you shove.
I like calling here and getting it all in on a non-diamond, non-A turn (as he's pretty much always potting it no matter what and if he doesn't you can do the betting for him).
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 PM

Min raise on paired flop is usually a bluff. Here it could also be a flush draw.

Shove &gt;&gt; call &gt; fold.

If you call there's a ~40% chance a scare card (diamond,A,K,Q,7) will come on the turn, then if he shoves on you you're in a tough spot. You almost always have the best hand now, but there are too many ways he can draw out on you, so you need to protect your hand.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM

It's going to be tough to keep this pot small. I really don't know the best line but I think what I would do it just call this bet. I would be hoping to call one more bet and get a check on one street. If faced with a bet on the turn and river I would probably fold the river bet. Its a terrible and weak line though, makes me reconsider shoving. I just can't imagine a worse hand calling a shove for almost $40 more.

Edit: Also I have been running sick hot so if I get to see the turn and river there's at least a 75% chance a J is coming.