Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 PM

Default back trouble from deadlifts?

How dangerous are deadlifts for your back if your form is less than 100%. I was all excited to do Ripptoe, but someone has suggested that the risk of hurting my back over time makes this lift not a good idea on a a risk-reward basis.

Are there any safer exercises I could substitute?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: back trouble from deadlifts?

just keep your back neutral and pull...who suggested that the lift was dangerous?

there are a million articles at t-nation and elitefts that will help you get your form down...
Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Start really light. Your first several workouts should just be practice and not very hard. Reread the appropriate sections of Starting Strength a bajillion times. Look at videos of people with good form and post videos of yourself to get feedback.

Deadlifts are one of the best exercises out there. Don't let fear of injury hold you back unless you already have back problems, in which case talk to a doctor or something.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:41 PM

I mean, it's the rare person that has perfect DL form, but if your form is really bad you could be doing some awful damage. So read up. And don't overdo it - you really need your rest after a heavy deadlifting session.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:02 PM

Deadlifts are awesome, they are my new favorite exercise. And if you think about, all they are is lifting something heavy off the ground, it's really not hard to figure out and do properly.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:12 PM

Start lite and make sure that you have somebody who knows how to do it watch you...then as your form improves start putting more weight on.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How dangerous are deadlifts for your back if your form is less than 100%. I was all excited to do Ripptoe, but someone has suggested that the risk of hurting my back over time makes this lift not a good idea on a a risk-reward basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever "someone" is probably also told you squats are bad for your knees.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever "someone" is probably also told you squats are bad for your knees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't they [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I would have to say my biggest transition in weight training came when I moved away from muscle isolating machine workouts and to compound free weight workouts. I'm currently working on a 3 day split with the deadlift, back squat, and bench press being the main exercise for each day.

Just start off with low weights and concentrate on form, and then work your way up.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Deadlifts are also my favourite exercise. The compound lifts are so awesome because they work a very large chain of muscles. The deadlift and squat use your whole backside from traps down to the achilles. Your muscles in your lower back and middle back are easy to become overfatigued from these heavy lifts. Make sure you are giving them proper rest before you attempt a workout on that day. With that said, if you're form isn't good, you should use less weight and if you were doing a heavier weight your last workout it's possible that you haven't took appropriate rest/nutrition to recover.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's really not hard to figure out and do properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an incredibly dangerous thing to say. Deadlifts are not easy to do with good form at all, and doing them wrong will quickly lead to injury.