Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Making a stand.......

[ QUOTE ]
Shhhh...I make double the US median household income playing Thurs-Sat

[/ QUOTE ]
What is this... about $50k?
Old 09-22-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shhhh...I make double the US median household income playing Thurs-Sat

[/ QUOTE ]
What is this... about $50k?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is a good bit more than that but it is irrelevant anyway since I play online primarily.

I don't think it is really a problem to blow a lot of your income when you are young (pro gambler or not) but I don't think it is good to be engaging in degen gambling activities. In the Mark Blade book, the number one characteristic of a long-term poker pro is lack of a propensity to gamble. As a pro gambler I think you should be actively trying to establish a healthier relationship with gambling, which probably means no BJ and sports gambling at all. The long irregular sessions are almost as bad. Personally I just play everyday when I don't have other plans, and mostly go out drinking after I play. I think you'll find a regular schedule increases win rate and overall health.

I've played a ton of 2-5 at the Borgata, do you go by Machmood at the table? I don't remember hearing the name but I am sure we have played together.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:49 PM

consider taking a spelling class with all your poker winnings
Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 PM

Machmood : 2+2 isnt a blog, a thread listing your win rate in the B&M forum will be locked. Its not just you, we would do that if anyone did the same - just a heads up so you find a better solution in advance. I don't want to discourage your idea, just making sure you know not to do it here.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 PM

TT, you do seem to work overtime to stiffle any meaningful conversations in this forum. Staking live belongs in strategy, winrates ng (you know he won't have the discipline to turn this into a blog). The list goes on and on. Maybe this would evolve into a meaningful conversation about bankroll management.

JMHO

- Lurshy
Old 09-22-2007, 10:58 PM

Decisions on how we operate the forum are made as a team, RR and I work together with 2+2 management for guidance (and yes, they want us to move threads/lock threads that don't belong - we do that in all the forums on 2+2 - we are here for the good of the community). You see me act more because I work from home and RR has to work from the card room. I laugh about this quite often, I love when people spew "I hate TT" stuff when the moderation was actually done by RR, it makes me laugh because 99% of the time its from a newbie, someone who was banned (usually in another forum, we don't ban too many people in this forum because its not as problematic), or a lurker. Its very rare that a respected poster criticizes our moderation in this forum because generally they get it, and a few of the times we have been criticized by a respected poster I totally agreed with them. But then again respected posters have been around here long enough to know the rules (which I don't think you do based on the last post - please read the FAQ why blog-like posts are not allowed), and they also know that complaints are supposed to be made in ATF - which you failed to do.

Question - if you dont like the forum is run, then why do you spend time in the B&M forum? We are obviously doing something right because its one of the most active forums on 2+2.

PS: I wont respond here, please take the discussion to ATF if you want to complain in the future, its disrupting Machmood's thread (which is totally fine as it is, my post was about his daily blog-like plans which are a better fit for other forums on 2+2 but not for B&M).

PPS: Apparently there is more than one Machmood playing 20/40 in AC, the one I know is 50+. That surprises me!

PPPS: Has anyone noticed how little moderating we have had to do around here lately? There is a reason why. Its nice to only have to read a thread once to check that every thing is fine, thank you B&M regulars for making our jobs much easier!
Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Cant make a living playing 2-5...???

Please you sure could 2 years ago, at least it sure seemed that way.

Alot depends on your given situation.

If you are married have a mortgage and 2 kids it wouldnt be advisable no.

Single, 20-30 yrs old, not really cut out for the corporate scene and maybe also running a small business on the side it can work.

Are people saying you cant make 4-5 BB/hr at a live 2-5 game with good game selection and discipline. I mean thats a "living wage" especially considering tax...

If you are young single and cant get by on 800 bucks a week net something is wrong with your spending habits....Hell you should be able to scrape by on 600 bucks a week net...in the short run...its called getting a roomate and driving a 8 yr old Toyota folks.

I dont think you need more than maybe 12-15K either to start. 9000 for bankroll and the rest for savings/living expenses while you figure out the games..etc.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:39 AM

First my name is not machmod, its marc.... and i do play fequently in the 2/5nl at borgata, sometimes 5/10 if things r ging well. 2nd in reply to zaxx19 response, i think u can make hella more then 4-5 bb an hour at this game, in my experience in the past year this game is pretty soft, and doubling a 400 buy in shouldnt really be a problem in a relativly short amount of time, obviously it doesnt always go this smoothly, but most of the time it will. As for me not putting up a blog, Id be intrested in what forum i could post this up in, i think it could help out some people seeing what someone goes threw from a day to day basis when trying to "make it"
Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 AM

as for my projected win rate, sum of the games i play in r pretty high variance,so if the past is ne indication of how i will do, im looking at nehwere from 1-2k a week. I dont really subscribe to BB/hour because every session is different. If im up a few dollars and the game sux ill get out n just book a win, and sometimes if the game is GREAT! ill sit for hours and hours, so to me the bb/hour doesnt do a poker player ne justice, or reallly show what his earning potential is is ne game. Im gonna pm a mod and figure out where to put this, if i do not get a responce im going to post it up here and hopefully they will put it in the proper place
Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 PM

I have decided to make a website where you can follow me as i make my leap into playing poker as a "pro". Because in reality ive beend doing it for about a year now, the site will have a few sections. One section will be my day to day blog talking about my sessions, winnings, and ne intresting hands i played. Antother section will be poker articles i will be writing about my thoughts on going pro, and helpful tips. You guys can take it for what it is. Im sure i will be flamed bye some people, but in reality im doing it to help people thinking about going pro, and seeing what it is really like. It should be up in about a week. hope u guys can gain from it