Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 11:02 AM

Default RotoHog Fantasy ($300k in free prizes)

I'm hesitant to even bring this up to a bunch of math-types on this board, but RotoHog.com is giving away $300,000 in prizes this year and has no entry fee. From what I've seen/heard I expect about 20k-30k to participate, so your equity is pretty good if you're any good at fantasy.

I've got a strategy blog where I posted my draft day bargains, and a sort of primer article for those who aren't familiar with them.

It's basically a salary cap game with the twist of having an open trading floor with a limited supply of each player and all trades directly and instantly influence prices. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think and what you see as some good strategies to exploit.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: RotoHog Fantasy ($300k in free prizes)

I'll give it a shot right now and come back with some comments.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 PM

KUJ-
how does the trading market work for undrafted players? Do all undrafted players go to the floor at the 12-1 manager to player ratio that is in the draft?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM

The drafts are huge free-for-alls which is new (baseball was 12 managers to a draft room). So there are multiple copies of a player in every draft.

The quantities of a player available when the market opens will be a result of the quantities of a player that were drafted from all the drafts.

I've said this several times on my blog, but the initial prices are set from now until Sept 4th when the floor opens, so it's a big advantage, imo, to draft late to have maximum information (Sept 2nd is the last day).
Old 08-27-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The drafts are huge free-for-alls which is new (baseball was 12 managers to a draft room). So there are multiple copies of a player in every draft.

The quantities of a player available when the market opens will be a result of the quantities of a player that were drafted from all the drafts.

I've said this several times on my blog, but the initial prices are set from now until Sept 4th when the floor opens, so it's a big advantage, imo, to draft late to have maximum information (Sept 2nd is the last day).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the $300 you enter the draft with all you get for trading on the floor? Or is there an additional $$$ to buy players for your final 3 roster spots?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM

The $300 is all. They did $275 for baseball and then $25 more when trading opens, but they're not doing that anymore.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM

That was my question also, but I figured that I needed to save money for the 3 extra spots so I did when I had my draft today.

One other question, when the trading floor opens can I buy the same guy a 2nd time if I wanted to (and had the money for it) or is my only option to sell that player (if I already have him on my team).
Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Polka, you can't buy multiples or short sell. I kind of feel like you should be able to, but I think they're trying to maintain the balance between trading and fantasy which is reasonable.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was my question also, but I figured that I needed to save money for the 3 extra spots so I did when I had my draft today.

One other question, when the trading floor opens can I buy the same guy a 2nd time if I wanted to (and had the money for it) or is my only option to sell that player (if I already have him on my team).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that spending on your 3 extra spots is a good strategy in this setup (with the possible exception of picking up very cheap (1-5$) players who have a chance to seriously increase in value after the first game) you want all of your money producing and leaving 30-40 on the bench can bean the difference between starting reggie bush against the colts and jamal lewis against the steelers at 3 positions.