Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 AM

Default computers to TV\'s

I recently have been thinking of making a DVR (have an extra computer sitting around). I went and hooked up my main computer to my sony HD tv threw Svideo(tv doesnt have vga hook ups...).

The problem i have is the only rez it allows is for a normal tv aka 800x600ish and 1024x760ish. It doesnt allow for a 720p signal which would be 1300x760ish.

On top of that it doesn't fit the screen right.

I was looking at some dvi to hdmi cables and was wondering if this would help at all.

Figure someone out there has to hook a computer to a TV every so often and might know a good way to do this.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: computers to TV\'s

DVI to HDMI works ok. I'd try that first. You usually need to create a custom screen resolution to fill the entire screen. Google "custom screen resolution software" or something similar and find one. I'll post the one I have later. Can't remember it now.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM

I know it's probably no help but on my cheap Chaintech Nvidia video card there is a setting in it's control panel called TV Output. From there I can see a little drawing of a TV and I can click on any of the 4 sides of the TV screen to expand or contract the screen. It doesn't reduce the whole resolution (ie: all four sides) but instead just makes it wider or narrower on the top/bottom or the sides, whichever I want. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, it's worth a shot to make sure your video card doesn't have a utility like that. It works perfectly for my home theater pc.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:10 AM

just ordered a DVI to hdmi wish my tv had a vga.... was using svideo and it just sucked so ill post if the hdmi fixes it