Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Default 3-betting in 6max

I recently dropped down from 25NL fullrin to 10NL 6max on Stars because 6max is more popular at the higher limits where I plan to play some day.

A big thing I noticed is that I'm getting 3bet a lot more preflop. Is this normal? What is a good 3betting range JJ+, AKs, AKo? AQ?

Or is it just that I was playing against maniacs or people just get getting good cards (Only played a few hundred hands so far so not sure if its normal play)

EDIT:

Also what is a good opening range for UTG. So far I've been raising 66+, ATs+, AJo+, KQs. And limping with A6s-A9s, QJ-98, and KJ-QT. I've had good results with this so far, over a small sample though. Have I loosened my play too much here?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: 3-betting in 6max

[ QUOTE ]
A big thing I noticed is that I'm getting 3bet a lot more preflop. Is this normal? What is a good 3betting range JJ+, AKs, AKo? AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very normal. You will find that play is generally more aggressive pre-flop than at the FR tables.

Your 3-betting range should be very, very situational. Does Villain open-raise loose or tight? Does his position suggest strength (UTG) or a wider range (Button-stealing)?

[ QUOTE ]

Or is it just that I was playing against maniacs or people just get getting good cards (Only played a few hundred hands so far so not sure if its normal play)

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be; too few hands to really know.

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT:

Also what is a good opening range for UTG. So far I've been raising 66+, ATs+, AJo+, KQs. And limping with A6s-A9s, QJ-98, and KJ-QT. I've had good results with this so far, over a small sample though. Have I loosened my play too much here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your basic opening range looks very solid. You can add more hands as your position improves, and especially on the Button. Also, open even more hands in late position when the blinds are tight and will fold to steals (if they fold basically every time, you can steal with almost any two cards and it's very profitable).

I would cut out most of the open-limping UTG, because your hand is not strong, you're out of position, and you appear weak and thus are vulnerable to a raise PF. I would, however, open-raise all your limping hands from the CO and Button.

There's tons to say about basic PF 6max strategy but I hope that helps. You just need experience, and don't go too crazy if you get beat up a little at the start. Try to identify situations where you lose a lot or seem to get outplayed a lot, and get rid of them.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:58 PM

3 betting preflop is normal at 6max. This is where being in position is key and noticing trends from players is a must. At 10NL there are a lot of crazy plays. To win at this level just play basic ABC Tight/Aggressive poker.

I would never open limp at 6max. Raise it or fold it depending on table conditions. any pocket pair 22+ im raising from any position at 6max.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM

3betting will be alot more common than at fullring. your 3betting range will depend on your position relative to the original raiser, so assuming he is a somewhat competant player (not an assumption you really want to make at NL10 but w/e) my standard range at NL10 would probably be:

raiser UTG - JJ+, AK
MP - TT+, AQ+
CO - 99+, AQ+, KQ+
button open, you are in the blinds. TT+, AQ+

something like that anyway, just be aware that a button raisers range will be much wider then an UTG raisers range

i think a good UTG raising range, and one that is my standard against unknowns at any level is:

22+, AJ+, KQ+. fold EVERYTHING else, don't limp.

any pocket pair is profitable UTG because you will often win a bit pot when you hit a set, whilst it is hard for you to lose a big pot with 22 w/o hitting your set.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, they've been helpful. I was aware of position while playing FR, but I didn't find it was anywhere near as important a factor as it has been so far in my 6max games. So I'll continue to work on playing hands correctly in position.

I'll also stop limping UTG, and try to stop limping in later positions because I usually end up calling a raise or folding anyway, so I might as go into the pot been the initial better.

One last question, is there a 6max forum anywhere, or can I just post hands and questions in the microstakes thread?