Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Poker & babies

Hi all,

I've been playing online poker for a living for about 5 years. I'm married and about to have our first child. Does anyone have any advice/stories/mistakes to learn from regarding combining being a first time dad and online pokering?

Regards, Punter
Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Poker & babies

Play cash games where you can sit out whenever you need to. SNG and/or tournament poker don't mix well with kids, unless you can totally foist off responsibility on your wife for a few hours. In which case just don't overdo it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 PM

"Sit Out Next Hand" button will be your friend!

Yes, it's doable. Evenings are obviously best- it will all depend on how lucky you are with your babies sleep pattern.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 AM

I have a 3 year old and another one coming next month.
I agree, cash games are your friend. I won't start an MTT until 10 pm or so. Even then it depends on the babies sleep.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Playing while baby bottle feeds is easy and the wife will appreciate your baby bonding time while she is passed out somewhere!!. I can now 9 table while changing my sons diaper. Make sure change table next to computer. As mentioned cash games are best as there will be times when you must sit out.
Downside is baby will be zoning out watching you play internet poker. Good or bad for baby I don't know...
Oh and keep the bad beats in perspective. Babies can be trying at times and so can poker. Keep your baby in mind if and when you get aggitated by your opponent. Tilt can do funny things to a person and you won't want it to affect in a negative fashion the way you are interacting with your child .
Old 05-11-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can now 9 table while changing my sons diaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Downside is baby will be zoning out watching you play internet poker. Good or bad for baby I don't know...

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll learn how to checkraise the turn at a young age. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM

I noticed my buddy, who's a new father, started playing much better poker now that's he's desperate for money.

I think it might also be a good way for him to get some time for himself, as long as he can justify it to wifey, by winning a little cash.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:15 PM

I just had a baby 6 months ago. I make a living playing online. My wife goes to work...so I take care of my baby during the day. And I play during the day. This is tricky...I try to play during her nap times. And of course, as already said, only play cash games. I also feed her at times with a bottle on my lap while I play. She even likes to watch. I set her up in her bouncy chair in front of the tv with one of her baby einstein videos while I play also.

Best part is, since my baby was born, my profits have gone through the roof. She helps me with tilt. Looking at her smile at me makes that 3 outer that got me felted that much easier to deal with.

And if she's in a bad mood (fussy) then I might not be able to play that day, as she can tilt me pretty badly in that mood. I had to learn that one that hard way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cliff notes: play during the babies naps and only play cash games.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 PM

I had a similar situation a few years back. Turns out that babies can be sold for about 10k where I live.

I moved up in limits.