Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Libel and Slander

so i know the difference is that one is spoken and one is printed. for "flames" on 2p2, we would be using the definition of libel here yes? can someone help me out with that definition per chance?

rj
Old 08-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Libel and Slander

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libel

AKA: defamation

Libel: written
Slander: spoken

Neither apply if statements in question are truthful.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:31 PM

You may also find http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Anonymity/ interesting.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:33 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

apparently you guys didnt get that im well aware of the definition and im just looking for a setup now. post text not links. (HINT: the word "false" is particularly relevant)

rj
Old 08-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Libel: A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.

Slander: Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Libel: A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation.

Slander: Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.

I got it the first time, but is this better?

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, just in case anyone wants to know in the future. if someone says "person x did this with person y" person z having the threat of a lawsuit when all parties admit this is true can just be laughed off because the party is obviously full of [censored]/beyond reason.

rj
Old 08-01-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
People that post on internet forums can have their reputations damaged? Go figure.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:11 PM

Yes, PITTM, truth is an absolute defense against libel/slander, at least here in the States. I believe it doesn't apply as strongly overseas, in GB specifically.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
People that post on internet forums can have their reputations damaged? Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mortally hurt, in fact.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im not really all that thrilled about that definition because it doesnt include untruth. newspapers writing about bill clinton getting head from his intern damaged his reputation, but were true, making them NOT libel. again, in the situation i was discussing, we must realize that the key distinction between libel and non libel is "false" not "damaging someones reputation", if someones reputation is damaged because of something they did, it would be their own fault no? this is where im confused. 2p2 and many posters dont seem to agree with this.

rj