Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Latest AP press release

I've read the first part, and am now waiting anxiously for the followup parts. Great work.

Your description of the backend software changes sound like they would not be widely known in the company or clear to all that they could be exploited as they were. Someone would have to be pretty familiar with the hands-on operation of the systems and savvy enough to code a way to exploit them, I'd think.

Was AJ Green capable of this? Was he intimately familiar with backend design changes on the system, and able to code a way to access and exploit them?

I'd guess no, so we're still waiting to see who wrote the exploit.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM

Good read Nat.
I look forward to the rest of it.
I'll reserve questions until after those parts.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 AM

Also, x-posted from my blog:

I did an interview recently with holdem radio on a show called “The Tournament Trail” with Earl and Jen. It was a great time and a really fun talk. Both of the hosts knew a lot about the scandal and they really let me ramble a lot, which I always enjoy. I got into a bunch of peripheral issues like my feelings on online poker regulation and even why lots of sites use the KGC-controlled hosting facilities near Montreal. The direct link to download the show is: http://www.holdemradio.com/media/tt110707.mp3.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was also told confidentially that one of the other four is the account known as #363 that appeared in the suspect Excel file, but I am not at liberty to state which of the four is #363. The NDA [Non-Disclosure Agreement] that I signed at the AP offices prevents me from stating the aforementioned information.

[/ QUOTE ]
A question: Can you reveal the scope of this agreement? Did the agreement censor any information previously known to you, that you had obtained through your third party sources prior to Costa Rica?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There is no evidence of the current or past existence of a “super-user” account.

[/ QUOTE ]
Technically you can get away with stating: "There is no super-user account" or "The evidence indicating a super-account has been investigated and found lacking". But you can't state there is no evidence. We have seen it. It led to the whole pandora box being opened in the first place.
[ QUOTE ]

There is no player account in the AP system with the ability to see other players’ hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Note here: "no player account". Nobody ever said there was. We claimed there was/is an "observer account" with the ability to see players' hole card. Just to shut me and others up, next time you issue a release can you amend the statement to "no player or observer account" or even better "no account"?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read the first part, and am now waiting anxiously for the followup parts. Great work.

Your description of the backend software changes sound like they would not be widely known in the company or clear to all that they could be exploited as they were. Someone would have to be pretty familiar with the hands-on operation of the systems and savvy enough to code a way to exploit them, I'd think.

Was AJ Green capable of this? Was he intimately familiar with backend design changes on the system, and able to code a way to access and exploit them?

I'd guess no, so we're still waiting to see who wrote the exploit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is possible, but if the hole card information was written to the database, an executive could possibly access it outside of the whole application server system. There are power tools to lookup tables in databases, tools which make it easy for executives to just point and click without ever writing an sql query string.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
uurrghhh, anybody know anything about the ESPN report on this, been waiting for awhile

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. It's been over 2 weeks now; I hope the article didn't get canned by ESPN. Any updates? Nat? Gary?

Also,
“A known perpetrator was immediately terminated upon discovery of the scheme and no longer has access to AP. AP’s internal investigation continues."

Aren't they basically admitting that Scott Tom is still with AP here? They definitely state that a single perpetrator, and not perpetrators, was terminated. Last I remembered, both Scott Tom and AJ Green were guilty(along with who knows who else), yet AP now says only a known perpetrator was terminated? (And this can't just be attributed to a poor choice of words when AP has lawyers meticulously going over each release.)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:18 AM

If AJ was involved then there HAS to be more than one person involved. The person who wrote or knew the software change made the hole cards available and the person he(or she) told that it was there(AJ)
Old 11-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Oh, and WTG Mason for alienating Nat to the point where Poker News gets the story first! GG
Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Sadly, given the evidence of hands, I actually am inclinded to believe that the cheating did only start on Aug 14th

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this be a good thing? Just wondering...

Overall the statement doesn't seem to have anything new.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it is a good thing. Just means all our far flung conspiracy theories are wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]