Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 06:03 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything
Default Re: ask me about fantasy baseball v.2007

[ QUOTE ]
How big of a value do you guys think Troy Glaus is in Yahoo leagues this year w/SS & 3B Eligibility? I grabbed him with the 72nd pick, and i think at SS he could be a real steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

72 is quite good value, but yeah, shortstop is depth city this year. still not as deep as 3b though.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

assuming an equal offense, do i ordinarily prefer punting categories to building a balanced pitching staff? of course not. i'm not arguing that five tops and two bottoms beat a third-place finish in every column. i simply think the cost of building a good staff is offset by the damage it does to your offense. there's virtually no way to get one of the top two staffs in your league without costing yourself 10-15 points in hitting, unless your opponents are awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But its easy to have both, I do it every year. Top 5 rounds go for hitters, grab an ace in the next rounds, then draft your stud pitchers in 10-15. Studs, you say? Last year it was Lackey, Kazmir, Young, and others who I took then. This year it will be Bush, Garcia, and so on, while grabbing Valverde and Torres and Broxton to round out a bullpen that will get Ks and Saves, not giving up on anything. Its exteremely possible to build a good staff while not sacrificing the offense, and that is how you win leauges.

I'm a fan of breakfasts. So when I go to the Cajun Kitchen, I usually get the daily special; while not exactly the "Supreme Cajun Breakfast" that costs 15.99, I get nearly the same amount of food and pleasure for 5.99.

Cheers.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
7x5 keeperleague with normal 5x5 but with k and bb added for hitters. 10 teams and everyone gets one keeper, for one year, and you lose the draft pick from the round you drafted your keeper in the previous season.

rosters are 22 players deep start typical 9 hitters, 2 sp, 2 rp, 3 p. here are my choices for my one keeper. what do you think?

mauer 8th rd
webb 10th rd
atkins 16th rd

[/ QUOTE ]

mauer is such a lock here it's not even funny. he's a top 5 overall player in this setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

its obvious you think mauer is a no-brainer. i just saw that troy glaus has ss eligibility in yahoo leaugues. i could have him in the 15th rd. thoughts?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. But its easy to have both, I do it every year. Top 5 rounds go for hitters, grab an ace in the next rounds, then draft your stud pitchers in 10-15. Studs, you say? Last year it was Lackey, Kazmir, Young, and others who I took then. This year it will be Bush, Garcia, and so on, while grabbing Valverde and Torres and Broxton to round out a bullpen that will get Ks and Saves, not giving up on anything. Its exteremely possible to build a good staff while not sacrificing the offense, and that is how you win leauges.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your opponents are the sort who won't adjust torres's ranking for him closing this year, don't understand DIPS and thus assume valverde sucks, and don't know who david bush is, you can win the league with your approach, along with ten others. like sklansky does with poker, i write with the assumption that your opponents are somewhat competent.

you are still sacrificing a lot by relying on these guys for your saves. given that valverde is at least as likely to lose his job as broxton is to gain it, you're getting about one closer's worth of saves from both combined.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its obvious you think mauer is a no-brainer. i just saw that troy glaus has ss eligibility in yahoo leaugues. i could have him in the 15th rd. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

ss eligibility is not really worth that much this year. to confirm this, just go 12 guys down the list of shortstops and look who will be available. those guys aren't bad.

thus, if you can't keep atkins in round 16, you can't keep glaus in round 15.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 PM

i'm midway through "how to value players for rotisserie baseball" and the material seems very good. if you're the kind of person who takes fantasy baseball seriously and is willing to work for a bigger edge, i recommend it.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:36 PM

Is that an article or book?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 AM

This is just an experiment, see how well this works. Just completed a mock draft at mockdraftcentral. Was a 10p standard 5x5 roto. Positions a bit wonky, C 1b 2b ss 3b CI MI of of of ut. Not going to say for now which team is mine. Would like some comments basically on which 2-3 teams you think are best.

Link to the Mock Draft results is here.

Again, this is just an experiment; this format lets us analyze a draft in full, without any team bias. Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:58 AM

Ah, am I a douchebag for asking about my simple Yahoo 12-team H2H draft? I had 3rd pick, probably should have taken Reyes instead of Howard, and there was a ridiculous rush to take OFers for some reason, but I'm somewhat content with my draft. I thought I got some good value with Capuano and Fielder that low, and a bargain if Teahen and Huff bounce back. Surprised Weaver didn't go sooner.

3 Ryan Howard
22 Grady Sizemore
27 Chris Carpenter
46 Jake Peavy
51 Brian McCann
70 Troy Glaus
75 Adam Dunn
94 Chris Ray
99 Jered Weaver
118 Brian Fuentes
123 Chris Capuano
142 Eric Gagne
147 Prince Fielder
166 Felipe Lopez
171 Brandon Phillips
190 Michael Cuddyer
195 Anibal Sanchez
214 Aubrey Huff
219 Mark Teahen
238 Dave Roberts
243 Kevin Mench
Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that an article or book?

[/ QUOTE ]

book. author's pseudonym is art mcgee. second edition was just released this month.