Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: Could a reciever stop the clock by throwing the ball OOB?

[ QUOTE ]
whats to stop a team from after recieving a fair catch, going for a fake fair catch punt, then running for 10 yards. remember the other team has to be 10 yards away from LOS

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's not a "fair catch punt" it's a free kick, like a kick off or a safety kick. just like you can't "fake" a kick off you can't fake a fair catch kick. you COULD onside it though. it would be retarded but you could.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ya seriously, I think this all the time.

The QB pitches the ball backwards to the RB, and the play goes wrong and he's trapped 10 yards behind the line, he can legally throw it away out of bounds, just like a halfback pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except, as Assani pointed out, there are almost always going to be linemen downfield on a play like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the pass does not cross the line of scrimmage, there can be downfield blockers (like a screen). The problem is that in order to avoid intentional grounding, the RB would have to 1) be outside the tackle box; 2) throw the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Of course, if the ball goes past the line of scrimmage ... then the potential for illegal man downfield comes into play.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw that you officiated in the Big Ten prior to your days in the NFL and I am hoping you can settle an argument for me. Is there a penalty for linemen being downfield illegally in college football? I can't remember it ever being called in a college game and I've seen linemen a good 10 yards ahead of a back catching a screen pass. Thanks. --Bob Black, Minneapolis

College and pro rules, with regard to ineligible linemen downfield, are different. The pro rule restricts linemen from advancing beyond the line of scrimmage until the ball leaves the passer's hand, whether or not the pass crosses the line of scrimmage. The college rule only restricts linemen on passes that go beyond the line of scrimmage. On screen passes, under NCAA rules, linemen can advance beyond the line at the snap without penalty. Your observation is absolutely correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
link
Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On the flip side, I've wondered why a DB/receiver who knows he is going to land out-of-bounds after catching a ball doesn't try to throw the ball to an in-bounds teammate, like players do in basketball.

It probably isn't a likely case for a receiver, since there isn't another receiver nearby very often, but double coverage is common, so DBs and safeties should get the opportunity occasionally. As long as the first guy jumps from inbounds, it should be fine. Since possession hasn't been established, it can't be an illegal forward pass, so you could do it forwards or backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

when robots play the game, perhaps you will see this. as it is now, no one is that gifted to try to make this sort of play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true, a few years ago a UNC defensive back made this play in a bowl game.

Link
It was actually an Auburn player look about 6:30 in the video its a pretty sick play.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While we're discussing these quirky situations, howabout this one:

RB is on a breakaway, nobody between him and the endzone. An opposing player could run out from the sideline and tackle him, intending to accept a 12 men on the field penalty.

I guess the refs would award the score to the offense, but I don't know if there is actually a rule in the books about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...there is a rule
the ref can award a TD if the opposing player and/or fan comes onto the field from the sideline and stops and unimpeded pathway

[/ QUOTE ]

That rule exists because it has happened before.

And as for the OP, I don't see why not, as long as they throw the ball backwards (so it is a lateral).

Also, whoever mentioned RBs throwing the ball away, its a cool idea but would likely lead to an illegal blocker downfield penalty.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While we're discussing these quirky situations, howabout this one:

RB is on a breakaway, nobody between him and the endzone. An opposing player could run out from the sideline and tackle him, intending to accept a 12 men on the field penalty.

I guess the refs would award the score to the offense, but I don't know if there is actually a rule in the books about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...there is a rule
the ref can award a TD if the opposing player and/or fan comes onto the field from the sideline and stops and unimpeded pathway

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened once along time ago I know of, in the 1954 Cotton Bowl, Rice vs. Alabama.

A Rice player was running with the ball and was going all the way and a player came off the Alabama bench and tackled him. Everyone was really confused, eventually Rice was awarded with a TD.

http://www.ricefootball.net/tackle.htm
Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cool, this thread has turned into a football rules thread.

I have noticed that they start the clock after a flase start penalty (when the clock is running). If i were a coach, as soon as my team had the lead in the second half, I would instruct them to false start over and over until the game is over.

[/ QUOTE ]Heh. If a coach did this he should be fined max, suspended indefinitely or banned from league. And, then killed. Maybe change the rule just incase.

[/ QUOTE ]
so a false start is 5 yard and the play clock is what 40 seconds? At midfield you could only waste like 6 minutes off the clock and be stuck in your own endzome

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL rules ... 4. Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cool, this thread has turned into a football rules thread.

I have noticed that they start the clock after a flase start penalty (when the clock is running). If i were a coach, as soon as my team had the lead in the second half, I would instruct them to false start over and over until the game is over.

[/ QUOTE ]Heh. If a coach did this he should be fined max, suspended indefinitely or banned from league. And, then killed. Maybe change the rule just incase.

[/ QUOTE ]
so a false start is 5 yard and the play clock is what 40 seconds? At midfield you could only waste like 6 minutes off the clock and be stuck in your own endzome

[/ QUOTE ]

But then the penalty becomes half the distance, so you can continue to false start until the game is over. Being against your own endzone doesn't matter because the ball will never be in play again.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whats to stop a team from after recieving a fair catch, going for a fake fair catch punt, then running for 10 yards. remember the other team has to be 10 yards away from LOS

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you are talking about a fair catch kick here. The fair catch kick is a free kick like a kickoff. In order to get possesion back, the ball must go 10 yard (like on an onside kick). In addition, if time is expired, the game would be over after this.

You cannot have a "fake fair catch kick" the bakk must be put in play by kicking.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's not a "fair catch punt" it's a free kick, like a kick off or a safety kick. just like you can't "fake" a kick off you can't fake a fair catch kick. you COULD onside it though. it would be retarded but you could.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you put the opening kickoff through the uprights do you get points?