Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Selling Pieces of Myself for Monte Carlo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Again, it's a 13K event. Noah's good. Do you have any idea how standard (at least approximately) $180/1% would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were to attempt to sell piece of myself in this one event, I doubt I would try to sell my action at more than 1-1. Maybe I'd ask for $140-150 for each percent (where face value is $130), but I doubt more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shane --

But you've heard of like eight zillion deals that have actually happened for roughly these terms, right?

--Nate
Old 03-10-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think $140 is incredibly low for anyone expecting to have +ROI and you'd really just be screwing yourself at that #

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I COULD (and have at least once) sold my pieces off at a higher rate than what Noah is asking, but in a situation where the person you are asking to invest will lose their money 85% of the time, it's not really appropriate to ask for 150% or whatever. If one is trying to reduce his exposure on the buyin, one should be content to sell at 100-120%. Anyway, moot point.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But you've heard of like eight zillion deals that have actually happened for roughly these terms, right?

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, many one-off deals I've heard of involve the backer putting up 100%, the horse keeping 30-35%, which is more than what Noah is asking. I'd say this is an excellent deal for the horse, and I don't think too many (unproven live) MTT players can command this price. In Noah's situation (or at least how I perceive it), I would not expect people to lovingly pony-up more than $140 or $150 per $130 share.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, many one-off deals I've heard of involve the backer putting up 100%, the horse keeping 30-35%, which is more than what Noah is asking. I'd say this is an excellent deal for the horse, and I don't think too many (unproven live) MTT players can command this price. In Noah's situation (or at least how I perceive it), I would not expect people to lovingly pony-up than $140 or $150 per $130 share.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shane --

Fair. I just wanted to point out that anyone thinking that this is some unheard-of type of deal would be in for some surprises.

--Nate
Old 03-10-2007, 04:20 PM

When Schneids won the Party-million I believe he sold shares of himself at face-value since he had never played a live-tourney before.

It was more a matter of others buying-in a majority of his buy-in for him I guess (as opposed to already being in the tourney and then selling yourself).

BEAT - I probably could have thrown $100 or so his way and been part of the action if I had wanted to. Man that $10k would have been nifty.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, many one-off deals I've heard of involve the backer putting up 100%, the horse keeping 30-35%, which is more than what Noah is asking. I'd say this is an excellent deal for the horse, and I don't think too many (unproven live) MTT players can command this price. In Noah's situation (or at least how I perceive it), I would not expect people to lovingly pony-up than $140 or $150 per $130 share.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shane --

Fair. I just wanted to point out that anyone thinking that this is some unheard-of type of deal would be in for some surprises.

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that this is NOT an unheard of deal for someone with little to no experience in live big buy-in tournaments? I like Noah and have nothing against him at all, but to my knowledge his is not playing the high buy-in online tournaments and has very little experience in big live events? How can you say it is common for people like this to get these deals?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shane --

--Nate

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that this is NOT an unheard of deal for someone with little to no experience in live big buy-in tournaments? I like Noah and have nothing against him at all, but to my knowledge his is not playing the high buy-in online tournaments and has very little experience in big live events? How can you say it is common for people like this to get these deals?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm... cuz it is?
Old 03-10-2007, 04:25 PM

I agree, I don't think this thread should be allowed. I would have put up threads many times asking for staking for big buyin tournaments but I knew that 2+2 had some [censored] go on in the past and that it was now against the rules. I put it up on my blog and asked around on aim, and that was good enough.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:28 PM

while this thread is against the rules (which noah obviously didnt know), the people saying he is asking for too much are pretty far off. noah has likely well over a hundred thousand hands of cash played with a solid winrate, so he'll be fully comfortable playing with 100BBs+, and he has proven himself as a consistent winning MTT player. to think he wouldn't have an ROI in this tournament that makes $180 for 1% an absolutely fair deal (and more than that, a deal where the backer is definitely getting the best of it) is absurd. his ROI needs to be like 50% or 75% or something for this to be a good deal.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
while this thread is against the rules (which noah obviously didnt know), the people saying he is asking for too much are pretty far off. noah has likely well over a hundred thousand hands of cash played with a solid winrate, so he'll be fully comfortable playing with 100BBs+, and he has proven himself as a consistent winning MTT player. to think he wouldn't have an ROI in this tournament that makes $180 for 1% an absolutely fair deal (and more than that, a deal where the backer is definitely getting the best of it) is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty far off. I'm not familiar with Noah's game, but I doubt I would give the best online MTT player 140% for his FIRST live tournament. To some, the transition comes naturally, but there are many online MTT experts who are a complete mess when they first start playing live events.

[ QUOTE ]
his ROI needs to be like 50% or 75% or something for this to be a good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, which is it? 50, or 75%, cause there is a big difference. And yeah, there's a chance that Noah is less than 50% ROI in 10K main events. Not saying that he is, and since I'm not intimately aware of Noah's skills, experience or potential, all I can say for sure is that, if I were him, I would have asked for a much lower price.

Edit: I just re-read it and you said he has hundreds of thousands of cash-game hands? Does Noah even play a lot of tournaments? No way I'd pay more than even money for pieces of a ring donk in his first live MTT.
Closed Thread