Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Engineering or Business

jman,

Statistics definitely.

OP,

if you at least somewhat enjoy or can do well in engineering, stay in it for sure. You can do anything with an engineering degree with strong grades that you can do with an accounting or finance undegrad degree, but the reverse is not true.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you for sure that both engineering and accounting are terrible fields to work in.

[/ QUOTE ]

fo sho, huh?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:37 PM

Well for my first semester I am basically finished up a lot of the school requirements.

Should I try seeing if I could dual major in Finance and something like mechanical Engineering? Would that even be possible? I have classes like Calc II and 2 Physics 200 somethings done, So i have a lot of the base requirements done.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:21 PM

Business FTW (tl;dr)
Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 PM

jman..I did my undergrad at Illinois also. Something you might wanna look into is their technology and management program. Link
And I really don't see a need to dual major in finance. I would just do the engineering if you are capable.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also only go into comp engineering if you love writing code, otherwise it blows. Hope that helps

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. I double majored in electrical engineering and computer engineering.

Computer engineering is dealing with hardware. There is no where near the amount of coding in computer engineering compared to computer science.

Oh and I plan on going and getting my MBA in a 2-3 years. Like most people said...if you major in engineering you have many more options at your fingertips.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 AM

hmmm... that Technology program looks interesting. Is it respected? I am pretty sure I would be capable of engineering its just that I don't really want to get into engineering as a career. Everyone keeps saying that an engineering degree can get you into a lot, but Idk if I would want to rely on that. I dont see a point in an engineering degree if I have no intent on pursuing that outside of college. Thanks for the input btw everyone.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 PM

The T&M degree at UIUC is respected, and worth it. I would've done it if I didn't plan to go to grad school (I'm an ME).

Speaking as somebody who has limited real world experience, but I've talked with plenty of engineers/people in business (outside of my internship), engineering is a great major to get a solid job out of college, work your way up, be making 6 figures later in your career, etc.

Business is a lot more about who you know, what sorts of jobs you can get into. If you have strong people and networking skills, business is probably better for you. You can potentially make much more monies than an engineer, but if you don't succeed well enough, you'll probably make less over your lifetime than an engineer.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:58 PM

Yes, engineering is a very stable job. They are some of the few remaining jobs where you can basically just get a job, stick with it from college to retirement, and be fairly secure most of the way through.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:00 PM

Also, engineering is much more standard across schools - an engineering degree from a lesser known or crappier school will be much more useful than a finance degree from the same mediocre school.