Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Standing Shoulder Press

[ QUOTE ]
You haven't heard it because it's not true

[/ QUOTE ] yea theyre not better. Just do a normal standing military press.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM

JMO,
If your shoulder flexability isnt very good your upper back has to work hard to keep you arms in the plane of your body and not let them drift forward. To stretch, i stand in a doorway and grab the top and them walk through the doorway and have my arms pulled back behind my head. A few weeks of stretching really helped move the focus of the exercise from upper back to delts.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 PM

My right shoulder always is really sore the next day..and it doesnt really feel like muscle sore..more like the bone/rotator cuff when i make a movement with my whole right arm..not even sure if it is my shoulder or like the back upper lat area...goes away usually after a day or two but its just the right shoulder..the left is fine.

not sure if it is because of the shoulder presses or the bent over rows. Should i maybe switch them to opposite workouts a/b, swap one of them them with deads maybe so they are not back to back on the same day?

it goes away in a day or two..but just doesn't feel like normal muscle soreness, though maybe the whole shoulder is simply sore,...and im worried it might get worse as the weights increase
Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Depends on what we are calling "better." Behind the head simply puts a greater emphasis on the medial deltoid. In fact, I'd argue it's one of the best medial deltoid builders. The problem is it is very dangerous when not done properly or without the proper shoulder flexibility.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on what we are calling "better." Behind the head simply puts a greater emphasis on the medial deltoid. In fact, I'd argue it's one of the best medial deltoid builders. The problem is it is very dangerous when not done properly or without the proper shoulder flexibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention there's not much reason to emphasize the medial deltoid. Why would you want to do this? For god's sake, people, stop trying to isolate muscles. It's unnatural.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:50 PM

Colt,

Bodybuilding obv.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM

Colt,

Haven't met many people who want bigger arms, shoulders, calves, etc.? I think 95% of the guys in my college weightroom are into bodybuilding (body "shaping), and I don't mean they are trying to do it professionally.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Colt,

Haven't met many people who want bigger arms, shoulders, calves, etc.? I think 95% of the guys in my college weightroom are into bodybuilding (body "shaping), and I don't mean they are trying to do it professionally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, and my point is that every one of those people would be better served starting with a full body program. Squats, deads and presses will stimulate the CNS and put mass on their whole body (including arms, shoulders and calves) much faster than any split routine.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:14 PM

Ok I think we've covered this. Full body routines work best for beginners, no one has debated that. Split routines have their place and for people like I described looking to bring up lagging body parts a proper specialization routine will work wonders for someone who has TRAINING EXPERIENCE. Very few people would argue that.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:19 PM

jah7, yes, but how do you REALLY feel about split vs full body? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]