Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 AM

Default 50NL: AKs - How do I get to valuetown?

Villain is 39/20/5 over 70 hands.

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG: $44.80
Hero (MP): $78.35
CO: $62.55
BTN: $49.25
SB: $101.50
BB: $111.40

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $1.75, BB folds

Flop: ($4.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3</font>, SB calls $3

Turn: ($10.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $20.50</font>, Hero...?

Villain plays this aggressively, but how can I extract the most value here? Keep in mind we're both a little bit deep in our stacks. Do I wait until the river to get it in, or could another diamond kill my action? Or do I get it in on the turn? If not, what's the appropriate raise?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: 50NL: AKs - How do I get to valuetown?

Make it $45-$50 to go. The line villain is taking is usually a strong hand, probably a set or a straight, just raise now, a diamond will kill your action for sure.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:00 PM

I'm pushing this turn. He may have an unlikely straight, a lower flush, or possibly a set here. I'm not sure the typical opponent can get away from any of those. I'd hate to call and have a diamond fall on the river or board pair.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Cards we don't like on the river: anything that pairs the board (12 cards, although funnily enough, if villain has a set it's only 10 cards that are bad for us) and any diamond (7, 5d already accounted for). This means that 19 (or 17) cards either kill the action OR give villain a better hand, this happens 43% of the time! Because of this, I push the turn and feel good about it.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM

I wouldn't slowplay cuz u don't want another diamond to drop off and kill ur action as u said
Old 11-12-2007, 12:31 PM

I disagree with 3 betting on the turn. Babala you make a good agrument, but I think 3 betting the turn is going to lose a ton of value from hands we dominate because nothing can really make the call (except for maybe the straight and we can all agree the straight is a very unlikely holding).

What does that turn raise really mean? Straight? possible tho unlikely, the straight probably folds to a 3-bet, but will fire again on the riv if the diamond doesn't come (great odds he'll put money in when he's way behind).

weak flush? again possible, but we're looking at a J high flush at best. This hand is going to maybe make a marginal call on the turn, but again is manditory to bet the riv.

A set? probably worest case senario because it's hard to extract value AND we can be out drawn, but I'm siding with sbrugby here and playing the hand for max value. Again, given a call behind on the turn we're probably getting the villian to bet the riv which hopefully didn't pair the board.

Other than that maaaybe the diamond sparked a bluff and if that's the case another barrell on the riv from an agro player makes sense.

With the strength of our hand I just see the rereaise on the turn from the villian as more of a tester rather than a show of monster strength.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with 3 betting on the turn. Babala you make a good agrument, but I think 3 betting the turn is going to lose a ton of value from hands we dominate because nothing can really make the call (except for maybe the straight and we can all agree the straight is a very unlikely holding).

What does that turn raise really mean? Straight? possible tho unlikely, the straight probably folds to a 3-bet, but will fire again on the riv if the diamond doesn't come (great odds he'll put money in when he's way behind).

weak flush? again possible, but we're looking at a J high flush at best. This hand is going to maybe make a marginal call on the turn, but again is manditory to bet the riv.

A set? probably worest case senario because it's hard to extract value AND we can be out drawn, but I'm siding with sbrugby here and playing the hand for max value. Again, given a call behind on the turn we're probably getting the villian to bet the riv which hopefully didn't pair the board.

Other than that maaaybe the diamond sparked a bluff and if that's the case another barrell on the riv from an agro player makes sense.

With the strength of our hand I just see the rereaise on the turn from the villian as more of a tester rather than a show of monster strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

disagree. SB obviously likes his hand enough to c/r the turn, a huge sign of strength, with it. He's not folding to a shove.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 PM

shove dude, you cant call here, he will just never put any more money in. i shove this turn every time.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shove dude, you cant call here, he will just never put any more money in. i shove this turn every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, that's what I did, and of course, he folded. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just wanted to make sure I didn't overplay it and fail to extract the maximum value. Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:46 PM

I don't see a c/r as this massive sign of strength because there are very few hands that are that strong! I c/r a set or a straight to find out if I'm good, but I'm damn sure not calling a 3 bet.

A call on the turn will absolutely induce a bet on the riv a reasonable amount of the time. I'm interested what everyone puts the villian on here if they really do think he's super strong and wants all his money in the pot