Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Underhanded Tactic Used in a 10/20 NL game, Please Discuss.

First of all, I don't know what forum this should go in, so if it needs to be moved, go for it, but it happened in a 10/20 live NL game, so I'm putting it here. In the hand, the three relevant players are me, villain, and a big fish. I folded preflop, but, being a diligent poker player, paid attention to the hand.

The fish raised preflop, villain called on the SB, and they were HU on the flop. Villain check-called two streets then check-raised all-in on the river. I'm sorry I don't recall the stacks, but it turns out that isn't really important here. What is important is that I knew the villain was bluffing, or at least I was 90% sure, as I'd played with him several times and had a pretty good read on what his moves meant. So I just said out loud to the fish, "He's bluffing; I'd call it." After some deliberation, fish did just that, and won the pot. Needless to say, this did not go over well with the villain, who proceded to call over the floor and make his case furiously. I got a warning and agreed to not do it again, but after that, the fish had a bigger stack and the villain, who was a competent player (probably breakeven) went on tilt for the better part of an hour.

I realized that it was this poker room's policy to just issue warnings, warnings that never have teeth, and warnings that don't really accrue to an eventual refusal to let you play (assuming you don't get way out of line like sock the shift manager in the jaw or something along those lines). Sure, people don't like this sort of move, and it's poor etiquette, but it did generate some +EV for me by tilting a competent player and building up a fish's stack and, in all honesty, I would do this everytime the opportunity came up as long as I thought I could get away with it. Would you do the same? Is there a better way of acheiving the same end without possibly incurring punishment from the floor, something that could be used in a poker room even where you weren't familiar with their policies?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Underhanded Tactic Used in a 10/20 NL game, Please Discuss.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a better way of acheiving the same end without possibly incurring punishment from the floor

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe if you make this a habit the floor will be the comfortable part of the punishment.......

and the boot smashing your face into it will make you think twice about doing it again. You will also be getting about what you deserve.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I don't know what forum this should go in, so if it needs to be moved, go for it, but it happened in a 10/20 live NL game, so I'm putting it here. In the hand, the three relevant players are me, villain, and a big fish. I folded preflop, but, being a diligent poker player, paid attention to the hand.

The fish raised preflop, villain called on the SB, and they were HU on the flop. Villain check-called two streets then check-raised all-in on the river. I'm sorry I don't recall the stacks, but it turns out that isn't really important here. What is important is that I knew the villain was bluffing, or at least I was 90% sure, as I'd played with him several times and had a pretty good read on what his moves meant. So I just said out loud to the fish, "He's bluffing; I'd call it." After some deliberation, fish did just that, and won the pot. Needless to say, this did not go over well with the villain, who proceded to call over the floor and make his case furiously. I got a warning and agreed to not do it again, but after that, the fish had a bigger stack and the villain, who was a competent player (probably breakeven) went on tilt for the better part of an hour.

I realized that it was this poker room's policy to just issue warnings, warnings that never have teeth, and warnings that don't really accrue to an eventual refusal to let you play (assuming you don't get way out of line like sock the shift manager in the jaw or something along those lines). Sure, people don't like this sort of move, and it's poor etiquette, but it did generate some +EV for me by tilting a competent player and building up a fish's stack and, in all honesty, I would do this everytime the opportunity came up as long as I thought I could get away with it. Would you do the same? Is there a better way of acheiving the same end without possibly incurring punishment from the floor, something that could be used in a poker room even where you weren't familiar with their policies?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow u are a huge douche. i never fight ppl, but i think if i was villain id climb over the table and just punch u right in the nose until u stopped moving
Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 AM

Wow i hope i never have to play with you
Old 08-17-2007, 03:02 AM

I don't care if poker players at the table like me. I just want the money. Yes, you're right that villain was mad, and nearly any villain in his position would have been, but the fish wasn't mad.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:10 AM

Uh yeah do this at the wrong table or to the wrong person and your gonna get [censored] up. I know that sounds like an over-reaction but in all honesty if you continue this you deserve it.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care if poker players at the table like me. I just want the money.

[/ QUOTE ]
it is against the rules. you are cheating. you clearly do not care about that either. why are you bothering to ask this forum about it? if you want to, then continue doing it. you may eventually meet with consequences, or you may not. why the f should we care?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:18 AM

yeah you're a dbag, but it's still pretty hilarious.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 AM

If you did this to me I wouldnt say a word, but make sure I follow you into the parking lot for a discussion. Or the bathroom. Somewhere where there's no cameras.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 AM

one time i was playing a friendly game in my friends basement with a couple of other guys and my friend (who is stupid) had a straight but didnt know and almost folded on the river to a bet but i kindly whispered to him what he had...anyways he won and his opponent proceeded to pull a knife out of his pocket SCARY
Closed Thread