Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Phil Gordon Interview W/Jerry Yang for The Poker Edge Podcast 8/7/07

During the interview Phil asked Jerry about the huge hand that occured less than 10 hands in to the FT that involved Jerry and Lee Childs. For those that aren't familiar this is how things went down...

Lee Childs raised to 720K under the gun and Jerry Yang, next to act, popped it to 2.0M. It folded back around to Childs, who made the call. On the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop, Childs led out with a 3.0M bet and Jerry Yang immediately announced that he was all-in, causing Childs to look consternated. After several minutes in the tank, Childs announced that he was folding, as he showed pocket queens.

The hand recap is courtesy of the pokerpages.com live update blog coverage.

----

Phil asked Jerry what he had and Jerry first replied back with the question of "what do you think I had?" Phil answered back that he thought Jerry had the Ace high flush draw. Jerry then answered the original question and said that he had pocket Jacks.

Here is the link to the podcast if anyone wants to listen to the whole interview.

The Poker Edge on ESPNRadio.com
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Phil Gordon Interview W/Jerry Yang for The Poker Edge Podcast 8/7/

I have said this to virtually everyone here and blogged about it a few times. Lee Child's laydown will go down as the worst lay down in televised poker history. Literally nothing fit for him to lay down that hand.

If you could compare the WSOP to boxing you might see a parallel. The smaller weight classes are where the skilled players play and the WSOP is where the heavyweights or less skilled players play.

To me the best 2 shows on TV are High Stakes Poker and the WSOP main event for 2 completely different reasons. Certainly the consumers have less interest in poker these days but when they do they would rather see unskilled opponents over skilled opponents.

As much as we may not like it, that is fact.

IMO this years final table will be the best in recent years.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Phil Gordon Interview W/Jerry Yang for The Poker Edge Podcast 8/7/07

[ QUOTE ]
During the interview Phil asked Jerry about the huge hand that occured less than 10 hands in to the FT that involved Jerry and Lee Childs. For those that aren't familiar this is how things went down...

Lee Childs raised to 720K under the gun and Jerry Yang, next to act, popped it to 2.0M. It folded back around to Childs, who made the call. On the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] flop, Childs led out with a 3.0M bet and Jerry Yang immediately announced that he was all-in, causing Childs to look consternated. After several minutes in the tank, Childs announced that he was folding, as he showed pocket queens.

----

Phil asked Jerry what he had and Jerry first replied back with the question of "what do you think I had?" Phil answered back that he thought Jerry had the Ace high flush draw. Jerry then answered the original question and said that he had pocket Jacks.

Here is the link to the podcast if anyone wants to listen to the whole interview.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are right cause I bet a friend of mine pretty large that he had 1010 or JJ. My friend has all other hands. I honestly think Jerry thought he had the best hand. I agree: worst laydown ever based on the fact that Jerry had already raised like 5 times out of the first 10 hands. Can't wait to see it!
Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

----

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are right cause I bet a friend of mine pretty large that he had 1010 or JJ. My friend has all other hands. I honestly think Jerry thought he had the best hand. I agree: worst laydown ever based on the fact that Jerry had already raised like 5 times out of the first 10 hands. Can't wait to see it!

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems like a good be for your friend IMO, though it appears you won.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon Interview W/Jerry Yang for The Poker Edge Podcast 8/7/07

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

----

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he'll probably want to wait until it is televised before he pays out on his bet but you should feel pretty good about your bet now. It would be pretty silly for Jerry to lie about what he had after the fact when everyone is going to find out eventually during the telecast anyway. I was with you as far as the hands I put him on when I first read the hand on a live update during the FT. I put him on 10s or Js along with the AK of clubs. I'm still not sure how childs folded that given that Yang had raised half the hands and was all-in a previous time I believe.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have said this to virtually everyone here and blogged about it a few times. Lee Child's laydown will go down as the worst lay down in televised poker history. Literally nothing fit for him to lay down that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play almost exclusively limit, however it seemed to me that given the strong PF reraise and then insta-push/raise on the flop bet, that it could have been very possible for Yang to be holding AA/KK...his actions seemed to be in line with those hands (at least to me).

Even if he was playing "wildly" up to that point, I think Childs has to consider the very real possibility of Yang having hit a legit monster on that occasion, am I wrong?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play almost exclusively limit, however it seemed to me that given the strong PF reraise and then insta-push/raise on the flop bet, that it could have been very possible for Yang to be holding AA/KK...his actions seemed to be in line with those hands (at least to me).

Even if he was playing "wildly" up to that point, I think Childs has to consider the very real possibility of Yang having hit a legit monster on that occasion, am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was the first or second hand, I probably would have laid down QQ also. But based on the "every other hand, I'll raise" strategy that Jerry had shown so far, I would have paid him off 100% of the time with QQ.

After I got to see some of his other hands later in the broadcast (A9 call against Lee although he was right), J10 call against Kravchenko, I was "certain" Jerry had 10s or Js in the Childs hand and he went all in so fast because he thought his hand was good! (OMG, I have an overpair!)
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You definitley aren't wrong. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that he had AA or KK I just still think it's really tough to fold QQ there, that's all. He said in the interview that after Childs called his re-raise and then he led out with a bet on the flop that the only way he felt he could win the hand is that if he shoved all-in on him and got him to believe that he had Aces or Kings. It worked.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM

Yes this QQ laydown is absolutely ridiculous. Playing AA or KK like this is pretty absurd and I'm almost positive that Yang wouldn't play 'em like that.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't justify it at all IMO. if lee is going to lay down QQ to an all-in on that flop, based most largely on the PF reraise, he shouldn't have called the reraise to begin with