Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-23-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Advice on a hand

First post here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I don't have a hand converter but I'll do my best to put it in proper format. The results are below in white, but I want opinions on what you think is the correct play before you read it please.

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em STT, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed)

Villain seems to be a solid, tight player.

SB (t1380)
BB Villain (t2855)
UTG Hero (t3290)
UTG+1 (t770)
MP1 (t2230)
CO (t1730)
Button (t1245)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero Raises to t400, Folds around to Villain on the BB, Villian calls t400

Flop: (t850) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
villain Checks, Hero bets t600, Villain Calls.

Turn: (t2050) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
villain Checks, Hero Checks

River: (t2050) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
villain bets t400, <font color="white">Hero calls t400.

Villain shows AsQs and beats my Jacks full with a Straight flush, Q high</font>

Input?
Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Advice on a hand

The preflop raise and the flop bet look good to me. Why did you check the turn? I bet the turn atleast t1000, and possibly try put villain all in. The way you played I shove the river as well. You've got a full house and time and time again you will get paid off by flush draws.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Bet the turn.

As played call the river. If you shove here he will surely call you with the straight flush but might fold any other flush.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:38 PM

I'd push the turn, if he has a flush, straight, pair with As, a 9 with Q ect he calls, bascially anything you get called with you are ahead of which he could have any of. Get your money in while your ahead and make him make the mistake, sure he could have 99 or straight flush but if he does then so be it, got to get your chips in here, almost always ahead IMO.

As played have to at least call the river, though might even just push over him and if he has the straight flush or quads then so be it.

*below after reading results*
This is a good example of getting it in while you are ahead, he got lucky, you did well just calling the river, I probably go broke half the time depending on the villian here, but main thing to remember is when you are almost certanly 100% to win get it in, if they hit the lucky card so be it, majority of time you stack him.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 PM

Preflop: I usually make it 300 here but I don't have a big issue with 400 or anything.

Flop: Good

Turn: I'd bet another 600 or so here. Basically however much you think he will call but it seems unlikely he will fold for the same amount he call on the flop.

River: I'm willing to go broke here.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:15 AM

preflop and flop look fine to me however the right play is to bet the turn and hope he has a big hand too, he would have CRed, you then get all in. if he doesnt hit a miracle card then you win.

seriously, you got to get max value for your monsters since you dont get them very often. If you are thinknig that you played this well then you are being results oriented.

btw welcome to the forums. dont be discouraged by any criticism youve received here or any other comments you get in threads you participate in, this is the beginners so forum and people here are pretty forgiving, just move on and keep posting, making your first post your last post will mean you are probably missing out on getting the full benefit from 2+2. goodluck
Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Ozi I'm not at all discouraged by the criticism, I came for advice so I'll take it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here's some explanation for my (probably flawed) reasoning for checking the turn like I did.

- Deception (ofcourse). I'd been raising a lot of pots and successfully stealing most of them without showing down a hand in a while. I hoped that by checking, my bet would be interpreted as a c-bet/steal attempt, and if he had the non-nut flush, he would believe it to be good and bet the river and/or call a bet or reraise on the river.

- With Jacks full I felt like the hand was almost a lock. The only card I would have been afraid of was the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so I felt like I could afford to give a free card.

Ok, so everyone tell me how my logic was flawed here.

Also, advice on the river. After the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] came I was obviously a bit scared he hit the straight flush. Was calling a bad move, would you have raised in this situation?