Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I wacth and liked "Seinfeld"
Yes 129 84.87%
No 23 15.13%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Daniel Negreanu is WRONG!

I agree with this:
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that in a heads up pot when one player is all in the player who is contemplating the call should be allowed to show his cards to the player who is all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I agree that this should be outlawed:
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a situation. Daniel (or anyone else who thinks you should be able to show while heads up) is three handed at the FT. Any time he folds, his two opponents table their hands and the one with the worst hand immediately folds. DN wouldn't have a problem with that

[/ QUOTE ]

These two concepts are NOT mutually exclusive.

I also do not believe that it is the TDs job to prevent Hollywooding. That is the reason why players at the table have the ability ot call the clock.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, Daniel thinks you should be able to show your cards or disclose your hand whenever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I read in his blogs about this earlier, that he was also upset that you could not show one card, and one card only, after the hand was over.
Example:
Player 1 raises pre (he is known to raise with alot of cards).
Player 2 calls from the BB (this player is fairly tight and very aggressive).
Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Player 2 bets half the pot, and player 1 calls.
Turn card comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 2 bets one third of the pot, player 1 calls.
River is the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 2 bets the pot, and player 1 goes over the top ALL IN.
Player 2 goes into the tank and finally folds, and player one exposes only one of his hole cards, the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I think based off of Daniel's earlier blog showing only one hole card after the hand is over is not allowed either.
Is this true? If so could anybody shed light on the reasoning for this rule?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Both sides makes good arguments. I think it would be an interesting debate. Is there a forum to discuss Rules?

ThreeBeers
Old 05-24-2007, 10:16 AM

I agree with Daniel and don't see anything wrong with what Jamie was doing at all. Said that. If I had to vote I would vote to keep the rules as is because I think they work and have become standard.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He (Daniel) is so WRONG here

[/ QUOTE ]

Without doubt Matt Savage is correct. Daniel is wrong! First things first. Poker Tournaments do not a poker game make. They are not Poker Games. Tournaments are events in which each and every participant has a stake in the results. Consequently, each and every participant has a stake in each and every action and/or decision made by each and every other participant. Potential colluding aside there are valid reasons, that I won't go into here, for not allowing discussion of hands during play by any tournament participant whether heads-up or multi-way or in the hand or not. Matt Savage definitely has this right.

pokervintage.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 AM

I can't see how this could be allowed during "bubble" time. Players would be showing the strength of their hands to protect them from getting called and risk going out just before the bubble broke. I've wanted to show the strength of my hand many times playing on-line SNG's with 4 players left.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matt,
Is the under the current rules is the offender's hand declared dead or is he just sent to the penalty box following the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never a dead hand, just a penalty

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

If Daniel is such a hockey buff, then why doesn't he just go ahead and show a card if he feels the need? If he gets caught, he does his time in the penalty box and then jumps back out on the ice...
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM

Just received a call from Howard Lederer in Ireland and he says he was misquoted by Daniel. He stated as many do that showing one card after the hand is over SHOULD be allowed. It is NOT a TDA rule but many tournaments rule that if you show one card AFTER the hand you must show two. That is the rule Howard disagrees with. He also claims that in a cash game or a heads up tournament you should be able to show cards which I totally agree with.
I asked Howard to post here and he said I could quote him, just FYI in case you don't think the top pros are lurking.

BTW, where is Shaniac, I am interested in his take?

Matt Savage
Old 05-24-2007, 12:29 PM

i don't think players should be able to expose their cards during a hand. it would create too many problems.

however, i do think players should be able to expose a single card after the hand is over. I hate the fact that you have to show both cards, or none. I think it's a silly rule.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Matt,
I believe that in a heads up pot when one player is all in the player who is contemplating the call should be allowed to show his cards to the player who is all in.

This allows for the the player who is being put to the test to gain information via psychological warfare something that is, and should always be, a part of poker.

The player who shoved all in should not be permitted to show his card to his opponent because doing so would make it easier for those players to collude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point but again it is way too subjective for an even playing field. Can you imagine the amount of "hollywood" that would take place if this was allowed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt,

Do you think the rules should be designed to decrease (or even eliminate) what you describe as "hollywood"? Wouldn't that also be very subjective?