Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2006, 10:10 AM

Default Bicycle daily tournaments

I'm planning to play this week on the Thursday tournament that the Bicycle hosts: $40 +$10 NL w/$20rebuys and $10 bounties

Any tips about this format? I never played a real tournament (no online). I'm a bit worried about how the bounties/rebuys will affect the strategy, etc.
Thanks!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Bicycle daily tournaments

Bounties don't really affect strategy except that 50/50 calls against small stacks(when you have a average stack or better) become automatic calls.

The rebuys suck. Expect to drop $120+ in this thing.

Also, due to rapidly escalating blinds, you WILL reach a point where you are forced to play and gamble. Pushing is vastly favorable to calling as there is so much money in the pot preflop at later stages of the tourney(antes + blinds).
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM

IIRC, your $40 buy-in gets you T200 and each rebuy gets you $400 more. You can do a double rebuy if you get below T200, and a single rebuy under T600. Your best bet is to do a double the first hand of the tourney.

Prepare for some really bad play. I once saw a guy try to pull a Daniel Negraeiounaeiou and drop about $300 by going all-in blind more than a dozen times in a row.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:13 PM

I see, so people keep risking/rebuying/risking/rebuying a lot at the beginning until they build up a good stack....That sucks! How long can you keep rebuying?

Are there other tournaments in the L.A area about the same price, but with no rebuys or very limited rebuys? It sounds like it might be cheaper to play a slightly more expensive tournament as long as the rebuys are reduced.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:48 PM

I occasionally enter the $100 and $200 buy in no rebuy events that run during the big tournaments. For stuff $300 and up, I enter 1 S&G. If I win, I play, if not, I don't play. Mostly a BR issue with me. The bigger tourneys allow for more play most of the time.

IMHO, you are better off entering the $50 w/one $50 rebuy tournaments. According to the Bike's website, these are on Wed at 12:15pm and Tuesday at 7pm. There is also a $100+$25 w/no rebuy on Friday nights at 7pm.

The upcomming "winning o the green" tournament series also features a $200 + $30 NLHE tournament on Thursday the 2nd at 4:15pm. I would expect a TON of entries for this...maybe 500 or more players. So figure at least $15k-20K for first, but maybe lots more.....maybe up to $50K for first if they get 1000+ players, which has happened in the past.

[ QUOTE ]
I see, so people keep risking/rebuying/risking/rebuying a lot at the beginning until they build up a good stack....That sucks! How long can you keep rebuying?

Are there other tournaments in the L.A area about the same price, but with no rebuys or very limited rebuys? It sounds like it might be cheaper to play a slightly more expensive tournament as long as the rebuys are reduced.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-16-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The upcomming "winning o the green" tournament series also features a $200 + $30 NLHE tournament on Thursday the 2nd at 4:15pm. I would expect a TON of entries for this...maybe 500 or more players. So figure at least $15k-20K for first, but maybe lots more.....maybe up to $50K for first if they get 1000+ players, which has happened in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to stick my nuts in my butthole and participate in that one along with the 300 on 03/05.

As for the daily tournaments, it's grade A entertainment.