Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 11-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Default 5/10 NL live not sure how to play trips OOP

Foxwoods 5/10, 10-handed.

I have played with villain for just one session in the past. He seems very solid and has a reputation as a very good player. He thinks of me as a good player who is capable of a lot of different moves.

Effective stacks are about 2000.

I am UTG+3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Preflop
A loose player who does unpredictable bad things raises to 30 UTG. He is called by a bad passive player who doesn't fold preflop. I call (does anyone ever consider folding here?). A fairly tight player calls, then villain calls in MP.

Flop (160): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
The preflop raiser leads out for 60, and I raise to 225. Villain calls after acting a little weak and sort of looking at the preflop raiser to see if he will call. Preflop raiser folds. I'm not really sure if villain would call with a straight draw here, so I am a little worried that my hand may be no good.

Turn (670): 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I lead out for 400. I have no idea if this is the right move. I am ahead of QT and straight draws, but I am behind QJ, AQ, and JJ. Villain calls.

River (1470): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, and villain goes all in fairly quickly. It is 1400 for me to call. I'm pretty sure I have to fold here.

The crappy thing about this hand is that villain may be good enough to know that I could be bluffing sometimes and could fold trips sometimes, so he can just go ahead and take the pot away from me. I guess if he is good enough to put a move on me with this little history between us, I have to let him, right?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: 5/10 NL live not sure how to play trips OOP

This is rarely a bluff. as played the river is a fold. I probably prefer a turn check since you "were a little worried on the flop" and rightly so. I would check/call turn and fold to river bet. IF turn was checked behind, I bet/fold river.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is rarely a bluff. as played the river is a fold. I probably prefer a turn check since you "were a little worried on the flop" and rightly so. I would check/call turn and fold to river bet. IF turn was checked behind, I bet/fold river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem I have with check-call on the turn is that if he does have a draw or nothing, he may see this as weakness and fire again on the river. Leading out on the turn is sort of a blocking bet that should prevent this from happening.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 PM

I fold preflop all day. I think river fold is good... if he's acting weakish on flop, we can assume he has Qx or JJ IMO. I don't think he'd shove KQ on this river but rather vbet. I'd say he has AQ, J's full, Q's full of J's or T's, or rivered T's full and really was weak early on. COULD even have Q3s I guess? IMO at best you're chopping on this riv... i like a fold on river. I like your line rest of way tho. I fold preflop tho.